Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

New versions of all Linux images (again)

* Use NOOP io scheduler by default that should be faster on USB flash devices
* Shutdown/Reboot should be more reliable
* Use text splash screens on boot

More info and downloads from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Buzz, I'm not actually using any Linux stuff on my Joggler at the moment (OK, using the standard O2 stuff), but I just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts.
Mc-Po

Post by Mc-Po »

I too am missing Local Apps/Settings

Any clue how to fix it
Thanks

Disappointed in Joli OS, theres no reason for them to use canvas over css
if they used css and html we would be able to change alot of the launcher as as opposed to the above and below regoins
mrp

Post by mrp »

I'm now using 1.2, version 1.1, btrfscom. All seems to be very slow. With 1.1, versison 1.0 Joggler was really enjoyable to use but after they updated the UI (force update) 1.1 did not work any more and I had to upgrade to 1.2. Any clue how to get 1.1 work again and avoid unnecessary updates?
leo85

Post by leo85 »

Mc-Po wrote:I too am missing Local Apps/Settings
I think I am too - though this is the first time I've tried Joli so I could just be being dumb...
Last edited by leo85 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrp

Post by mrp »

my local apps and settings came back after a while and after a few restarts. I think it is due to the not-ready-syncing. After everything had been synced and updated I got back my local apps and settings. One other thing that may have helped is that I logged in to my account using pc. This way my apps and settings may have been updated to the cloud, pc being an official platform for jolios, joggler is not official
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

not seen this issue myself and ive booted a lot of times during development. strange.
Mc-Po

Post by Mc-Po »

Its been restarted several times. And ive logged into jolicloud via the website. Still no luck
At the moment have to go to file browser, open a folder in Nautilus, do a search for squeezeplay and then run in terminal. Not nice
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

There is nothing special in my build that should affect this. I can only suggest writing the image again and retrying, or logging in from a pc as has been mentioned above.
leo85

Post by leo85 »

It seems others are also having this issue - http://getsatisfaction.com/jolicloud/to ... n_joli_1_2

From that page:
To access local settings or control center:

PRESS ALT + F2.
Type in: gnome-control-center
PRESS ENTER

--------------------------------------------------------
To access local applications:

PRESS ALT + F2.
Type in: nautilus /usr/share/applications
PRESS ENTER
Infinite Element

Post by Infinite Element »

Edit: Ignore this post, I'm going to keep trying to figure it out.
Mc-Po

Post by Mc-Po »

leo85 wrote: Type in: gnome-control-center
PRESS ENTER

PRESS ALT + F2.
Type in: nautilus /usr/share/applications
PRESS ENTER
Plug in a USB keyboard
When at the 'desktop' press the Menu Key

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts

Look for Show the Panels Main Menu
click the box to the right (which says menu)

and now using you usb keyboard press Shift+F10
and close the windows

You can now remove the usb keyboard, and using Florences OSK press Shift+F10 and a menu will appear with all your applications
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Just a tip for those using the jolios images - if you dont want to lose your device id between installs, you can backup

/etc/jolicloud-daemon/computer

and then restore it afterwards.
Colincliff

Post by Colincliff »

Hi buzz,

Many thanks for all your work on the various OS's you are maintaining on here. Certainly glad we have a forum we can rely on now. I've had a bit of a break away for the joggler world but I'm downloading the JoliOS distro now to give it a new lease of life.

One thought I had was that it might be worth 'stickying' the various OS release threads or perhaps a sub forum just for releases. Makes it easier to find and help those new to juggler to see the OS options more clearly.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

thanks!

I like the idea of having them easier to find, but not 100% convinced there are enough release threads to justify a new area - although if others would prefer this too, ill go with it. Other options would be to sticky release threads (including pnp/squeezeplay etc). Now im thinking there might be enough threads including those. hmm. thoughts people ?

[edit] i completely misread your post too. you already mentioned stickying them. i don't know how i missed that. perhaps i'll go with that then.

[edit] or perhaps a single sticky thread that references various release / support posts ?
Colincliff

Post by Colincliff »

Not to take this thread too off topic but .........I think stickies would be fine, however if there gets to be quite a few it might get annoying to have to scroll down past them each time.

Some forums (for example http://android.modaco.com/category/453/ ... odaco-com/) have sub-forums to group certain categories of posts them but the all the posts still appear in the 'parent' forum as well so that everything can be searched. I've found this approach works quite well over at the modaco forum. Not sure if PHPbB has this functionality however.

edit: just realised you have collated 'releases' into a single post. many thanks - certainly makes a change to have an joggler forum with an active admin! ;)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Joli OS 1.2
v1.2 (04/04/2011)

* Updated Kernel to 2.6.38.2 - Includes fix for EFI framebuffer palette bug, so graphical boots now look right
* Packaged vendor wireless driver due to reports of improved stability and better wireless N support
* Updated to latest JoliOS packages
Mc-Po

Post by Mc-Po »

Thanks, Dont know if ill be trying it know

Just wanted to say, it started syncing last night and once it was finished Local Apps and Settings came back
I assume theres no way of getting the app on the main dashboard

thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can get web apps on the main dash. dont think you can get local apps on there, but then its only one extra click :-)
holmes

Post by holmes »

Hi,

For those of you who have tested Ubuntu Netbook Edition and Joli OS, how do they compare in terms of user experience?

Thanks,
Last edited by holmes on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.