Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
cszhy

Re: Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

Post by cszhy »

I tried archlinux for joggler before ,it was OK, I also tried the very first version of jolios before , only meet problem this time
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

last night I re download the btrfs version and it works fine, seems the compressed one i download have some CRC problem
thanks, buddy
mrp

Post by mrp »

BuZz wrote:spotify is a jolicloud issue. you can fix it by running it as root and letting it do the upgrade. then it should work. once they update their package it will fix itself.
Once again I am facing this issue of not being able to update spotify. Please, somebody, write down the exact command to do this. Thanks in advance!
mrp

Post by mrp »

I bought spotify premium. I'm trying to use spotify through squeezeplayer. I have a qnap 219P with squeezeserver installed. I installed Triode's spotify plugin. I get no sound out of Joggler. Any ideas?

is it because of the spotify ogg vorbis stream?
gegs

Post by gegs »

After installing Triode's plugin did you configure it? Even after installing you need to add your u/name and p/w to the plugin config page on Squeezebox Server. Also, you need to choose the correct server in Squeezeplay on the Joggler; I think it defaults to Squeezebox.com by default but there is a way to change this in the settings.
mrp

Post by mrp »

I did all that was needed. I get no problems using the original O2 software and squeezebox with spotify. Using the same server on my NAS
mrp

Post by mrp »

I installed linux mint. same result. no sound from spotify. To summarize

- o2 original OS with PnP hacks, spotify ok
- linux mint, latest, btrfs compression, no spotify sound
- latest jolios, btrfs compressed, no spotify sound

seems to be problem with the squeezeplay version in mint and jolios (and ubuntu?)
mrp

Post by mrp »

any help on this spotify matter with squeezeplayer?

One more thing. Is there a way of adding scandinavian keys to squeezeplayer keyboard? searching is impossible in spotify if search string contains scandinavian characters
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I can't help with the squeezeplay/spotify issue because I have never used spotify like that. I assume squeezeplay produces sound, so it would suggest to me something is wrong with the plugin/settings but it could be something related to the linux setup. tried the native linux spotify app btw ?
mrp

Post by mrp »

I have not tried with linux version. I really like the squeezeplay and now I'm using the pnp:d original software. The only problem with it is the low volume of the sound. How is the version of o2-version different from the one on jolios/linux mint?
the native linux version is not an option for me due to the not-fingerfriendlyness

If you have spotify premium, please try some time the jolios/mint-version. I'm sure it is something very simple for you to fix

edited: I tried with the jolios squeezeserver. no sound from spotify
mrp

Post by mrp »

I installed linux mint 10. I then uninstalled the squeezeplay and installed the one from roobarb!'s instructions

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14

Now I have sound on Spotify in Linux Mint 10 squeezeplay.

Buzz,

do you think it is safe to do the same with Jolios?

edited: made the same change to jolios. It works ok.
ajprice

Post by ajprice »

First post here, hello forum.

I've downloaded the Joggler Joli OS, to write it to a USB from a Mac, do I follow the same instructions as for Linux with this code in Terminal?

gzip -dc IMAGENAME.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/YOUR_USB_DEVICE

or use the Mac version of the Jolicloud USB Creator?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the code should work. I wouldn't use the usb creator, as that will be something specific to creating official versions, and they won't boot on the joggler. There are websites with guides on writing images on osx http://meinit.nl/writing-directly-to-a-usb-disk-in-os-x

make sure you choose the right disk, and don't overwrite your hd etc.
sharpharp

Post by sharpharp »

Hi,

Do you know of any External USB Wifi adaptors that will automatically work with Android (Joli OS) on the Joggler? Need to extend the range of the Joggler, the inbuilt WIFI is poor.

Thanksm
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

any supported by linux as of kernel 2.6.38 should work on jolios. i can't help with android, as I don't know enough about the current builds. have you tested with wireless N access point and joli os ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Have given Joli OS another try today, and it's finally clicked. I wasn't seeing the benefit of what at first appeared like another overlay on top of the normal Ubuntu system, but I've finally twigged that that's not really what's going on.

Going to play about with it for a bit, but it seems remarkably well presented and the ability to tweak 'apps' and have them sync between Jogglers is very, very appealing. Amazingly, SqueezePlay is working too; although, as with Ubuntu 11.04, the sound effects on the UI don't play and I have no idea why that is.*

*Correction; they do play, just more quietly than expected.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hansel

Post by hansel »

BuZz wrote:the code should work. I wouldn't use the usb creator, as that will be something specific to creating official versions, and they won't boot on the joggler. There are websites with guides on writing images on osx http://meinit.nl/writing-directly-to-a-usb-disk-in-os-x
Nomatter how many times I try, it just won't work. I wrote the image to my 4GB flashdrive with the procedure you refer to. When I boot the Joggler with the flashdrive attached, the Joggler just boots into stock O2 software.
My flashdrive looks like:

Code: Select all

/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *4.0 GB     disk1
   1:             Windows_FAT_16 linux-boot              64.0 MB    disk1s1
   2:                 Linux_Swap                         255.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:                      Linux                         3.7 GB     disk1s3
Is that correct?

Edit: I have been writing Android images without problems on that same flashdrive.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

That all looks fine to me...
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I can only suggest trying another stick. Just in case, ill download an image and write it myself.. one thing i should do is provide md5s of the images. on my list hehe.
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

hansel wrote:
BuZz wrote:the code should work. I wouldn't use the usb creator, as that will be something specific to creating official versions, and they won't boot on the joggler. There are websites with guides on writing images on osx http://meinit.nl/writing-directly-to-a-usb-disk-in-os-x
Nomatter how many times I try, it just won't work. I wrote the image to my 4GB flashdrive with the procedure you refer to. When I boot the Joggler with the flashdrive attached, the Joggler just boots into stock O2 software.
My flashdrive looks like:

Code: Select all

/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *4.0 GB     disk1
   1:             Windows_FAT_16 linux-boot              64.0 MB    disk1s1
   2:                 Linux_Swap                         255.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:                      Linux                         3.7 GB     disk1s3
Is that correct?

Edit: I have been writing Android images without problems on that same flashdrive.
I've had the same problem in OSX. I used the same flash card as I've used for Ubuntu in the past but could not get the newer Ubuntu or JoliOS images to work at all.