Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

Post by gegs »

holmes wrote:Hi,

For those of you who have tested Ubuntu Remix Edition and Joli OS, how do they compare in terms of user experience?

Thanks,
Since this is a thread about JoliOS, I think it might be ill-advised to fill it with comparisons with other distros; the list could get enormous and go off at a tangent with discussions about UNR etc.

The best advice would be to try out JoliOS yourself. You needn't put it on a stick to do this; there is a browser based version that runs on Google Chrome, Firefox 4 or Safari 5 (the web version is called Jolicloud - http://www.jolicloud.com/ ). Most JoliOS / Jolicloud apps are web apps and any added to your browser version will also appear on your Joggler if you use the same account details for both (of course, Local Apps won't transfer between devices). Some apps, such as the Spotify one, are linux apps that won't be accessible from the Jolicloud version.

The major difference between the desktop and Joggler versions is the touch capability.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

holmes wrote:Hi,

For those of you who have tested Ubuntu Remix Edition and Joli OS, how do they compare in terms of user experience?
I think for user experience your best bet is to try both. However on a software level there is plenty of new stuff since that version was released, with new version of software, and overall better driver support and kernel performance. If you liked the old netbook interface, it's probably possible to put that on a newer version of ubuntu for example, or another similar launcher.
mrp

Post by mrp »

not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes. Using Joli 1.2, version 1.1 on Joggler. Playing all my music from Qnap NAS and listening to web radios. My NAS has been scheduled to shut down at 22:00 and after that I no longer am able to listen to web radio with squeezeplay as connection to my server is lost. Is there a (simple) way of installing another server on Joggler to be able to paly radio while Qnap is resting?
gegs

Post by gegs »

You can download Squeezebox Server to JoliOS - it's a deb file that you should be able to install quite easily. I run the server from one of my Jogglers precisely for this reason; I don't need to have any other equipment switched on (other than my router) to have full server functionality.

Once installed start Squeezeplay on your Joggler, on your PC/Mac go to http://joggler-ip-address:9000 and you can set up your Joggler's server and install plugins (such as Spotify if you have a premium account).
mrp

Post by mrp »

ok, thanks. I'll try to find the deb-file
gegs

Post by gegs »

mrp wrote:ok, thanks. I'll try to find the deb-file
It's not difficult to find. Go to http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download - your operating system will be detected automatically and you will be offered the deb file for download.

After download, locate the file and right-click on it (whoops! I'm assuming everyone uses a wireless mouse) - there should be an option to run it with whatever package manager JoliOS uses. After installation use the web interface to set it up.

Good luck!
mrp

Post by mrp »

thanks. I would have started to look from completely different location.
mattjax05

Post by mattjax05 »

I have Spotify working fine. I have tried to install remoteless http://remoteless.no/ to enable my iPhone to controll Spotify. I can download it ok but it won't run when I click it, does this mean it won't work or could I try another method? Also, I downloaded it first and it was available to add as a local app. But when I uninstalled it and downloaded it again it no longer appeared in the 'local app' list. Is there a specific place I should save downloaded files for them to appear in the 'local app' list - just so I can have files available on my frot screen (well after pressing the 'local apps' folder)

BTW Wine recoqnised the remoteless.exe file as it gave it the 'wine glass' image.

Cheers
mattjax05

Post by mattjax05 »

can you install the latest version of squeezeplay on joli?

The version on the new joli release is not the new one which 'birdslikewires' have released - is that one though only available for ubuntu and native os?

Also how can you ssh into joggler with joli running, I know how to ssh native and ubuntu but not joli.

Cheers
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mattjax05 wrote:can you install the latest version of squeezeplay on joli?
should be able to install roobarb's version fine. just uninstall mine (apt-get remove --purge squeezeplay) and then install his.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

v1.3 (23/04/2011)

Kernel 2.6.38.4
Package updates
Default to max cstate=2 to avoid crackles on (all) jogglers without grub.cfg editing
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Hi , i Download the Btrfs Compressed Version and wrote it to a 4g usb-stick,
Then I Insert the USB stick into Joggler and turn the power on.
but It can't boot to the Maverick/Linux Mint Desktop ,
it stops at jolios 1.2 logo, the clouds keeps moving and moving,
What Can I do?
thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cszhy wrote:Hi , i Download the Btrfs Compressed Version and wrote it to a 4g usb-stick,
Then I Insert the USB stick into Joggler and turn the power on.
but It can't boot to the Maverick/Linux Mint Desktop ,
it stops at jolios 1.2 logo, the clouds keeps moving and moving,
What Can I do?
thanks
ill recheck the image - I could have made a mistake when putting it together.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cszhy wrote: it stops at jolios 1.2 logo, the clouds keeps moving and moving,
What Can I do?
I just downloaded my last image and it worked fine. Are you using the latest version of the image? Did you boot your joggler from cold, or had it been on previously? If it had been on (and warm)? Do you use any additional cooling / heatsink modifications - if not you will need to increase the thermal trip point.

if it doesnt boot, you can do "ctrl+alt f2" to get to a terminal, log in as joggler/joggler and do

sudo -s
dmesg >/boot/dmesg.log

then power off put the stick in another machine and get the dmesg.log file from the linux-boot partition and paste it on pastebin or similar.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

i download it this morning, it should be the latest version.
there is only one usb port on joggler,and i don't have a hub now,will try later, thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mattjax05 wrote:I have Spotify working fine. I have tried to install remoteless http://remoteless.no/ to enable my iPhone to controll Spotify. I can download it ok but it won't run when I click it, does this mean it won't work or could I try another method? Also, I downloaded it first and it was available to add as a local app. But when I uninstalled it and downloaded it again it no longer appeared in the 'local app' list. Is there a specific place I should save downloaded files for them to appear in the 'local app' list - just so I can have files available on my frot screen (well after pressing the 'local apps' folder)

BTW Wine recoqnised the remoteless.exe file as it gave it the 'wine glass' image.
local apps uses .desktop files/application menu entries to show what can be installed. you can force this by adding a .desktop file for an app. to be honest, for general questions like this, you are better off asking on the jolicloud support systems where there is a larger community to help.
mattjax05

Post by mattjax05 »

Will do many thanks Buzz
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mattjax05 wrote:Will do many thanks Buzz
if you look in /home/joggler/.local/share/applications you will see a .desktop file for squeezeplay.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

I boot my joggler from cold, but it stuck at the screen of fastmoving clouds on three devices,
I also press "ctrl+alt f2" to get to a terminal, but there is no response, no terminal window activated.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cszhy wrote:I boot my joggler from cold, but it stuck at the screen of fastmoving clouds on three devices,
I also press "ctrl+alt f2" to get to a terminal, but there is no response, no terminal window activated.
Without further debugging info, I can't really say what has gone wrong - you could mount the stick on another machine with ubuntu natty and do "sudo mount /dev/usbdevice3 /mnt" (/dev/sdb3 for example) and then post the contents of /mnt/var/log/syslog.

Also did you try any of the other images for say ubuntu maverick ? or a different usb stick?