RadioFeeds UK & Ireland (Internet Radio) for P'n'P III

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: RadioFeeds UK & Ireland (Internet Radio) for P'n'P III

Post by hawsey »

Cheers , looks complicated I will try it in the week , everything just stopped this morning with a message saying no WMA as in this thread , I would love to keep the in built pure radio app as it is simple ,.
Thanks
Happy Joggling
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Added recently:
BBC Hereford & Worcester
BBC Radio Gloucestershire

We're expecting the remaining half of BBC local radio to be made available tomorrow.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Hi,

I now can't get BBC national radio (R1, R2, R3, etc.) to work in Squeezeplay, i.e., BBC iPlayer Listen Live. I get the message: 'Problem: Can't open file for: BBC Radio 2'. Is this something to do with LMS / changed stream format? Local radio stations (e.g., BBC Kent) work OK.

All work OK in Pure Lounge.

Mike
deegy

Post by deegy »

Hello,
I had a quick hack at jogContent.xml to get 6 music working by replacing :
<Stream Status="1" BitRate="128" StreamFormat="RTSP/ASF" AudioFormat="WMA" Reliability="9" AudioQualityRating="3" URL="http://media.thelounge.com/radio/35.asx"/>
with
<Stream Status="1" BitRate="128" StreamFormat="RTSP/ASF" AudioFormat="MP3" Reliability="9" AudioQualityRating="3" URL="http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbc6music.pls"/>

Not sure if radiofeeds are happy this is done , I would rather use a direct BBC link but this as got me back dancing in the kitchen.
Dg
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I think this only works for The Lounge - as I said, this is working OK for me.

I'm using Squeezeplay with an external LMS (on a Mac mini), and R2, 6 Music, etc. have stopped working, whereas local radio (e.g., Radio Kent) works OK.

Mike
gegs

Post by gegs »

MikeF wrote:Hi,

I now can't get BBC national radio (R1, R2, R3, etc.) to work in Squeezeplay, i.e., BBC iPlayer Listen Live. I get the message: 'Problem: Can't open file for: BBC Radio 2'. Is this something to do with LMS / changed stream format? Local radio stations (e.g., BBC Kent) work OK.

All work OK in Pure Lounge.

Mike
I'm going to contact the plugin developer about this but any of the iPlayer MP3 streams work, which is most of the on demand content on the iPlayer Extras plugin.

For Live streams my workaround is to search for 'BBC' in the 'RadioFeeds UK & Ireland' plugin, find the stream you want in MP3 format, hold your finger on the item until the dialogue box appears, choose 'Add to Favourites'. Your working BBC MP3 streams now appear in Favourites* (the heart-shaped icon) on your home screen.

*Actually US English spelling 'Favorites' - but I feel weird typing that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that BBC have discontinued their WMA streams, which the Listen Live options in iPlayer are trying to access. I get a looped message telling me about BBC's decision to discontinue WMA streaming and that alternative streams are available.

P.S. I'll add my workaround to one of the Squeezeplay threads so other can find it. I've also emailed Triode, although I'm sure he knows about the problem.
castalla

Post by castalla »

It's all down to a massive balls-up by the BBC. They've shut down all live streams except mp3. You can only get them vi UK Feeds or Tunein.

Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/ent ... e#comments if you want to know more - it's not a pretty picture!
gegs

Post by gegs »

And now we can put a name to that balls up. It is Jim Simmons (Senior Product Manager).

I can remember when the 'high quality' (BBC's words) WMA streams were in beta for Radio 3. Have they decided to opt for mediocre quality for everything? If so, it's very sad.
castalla

Post by castalla »

The issue will be on Feedback Radio 4 on Friday 13/2 at 4:30 pm
gegs

Post by gegs »

Fine if you are able to listen to it ;)

Friday 13th seems an appropriate broadcast date under the circumstances.
gegs

Post by gegs »

It looks like the on-demand streams in WMA are being phased out too. It probably means that on-demand programs are working until switchover and then will begin to drop away as the previously WMA encoded streams expire (at least, that's the way I read it):

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... io_formats

I can't find a definitive statement on whether they've started streaming in AAC for live/on-demand yet.
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:It looks like the on-demand streams in WMA are being phased out too. It probably means that on-demand programs are working until switchover and then will begin to drop away as the previously WMA encoded streams expire (at least, that's the way I read it):

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... io_formats

I can't find a definitive statement on whether they've started streaming in AAC for live/on-demand yet.
Given the last few days of chaos, I doubt whether even the Senior Manager of the Audio Factory/Brewery has any idea what's going on.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

I'm delighted to announce the remaining BBC local radio stations have now been added!
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Many of the on demand streams are AAC at the moment but if they're SHOUTcast AAC, they're also being phased out according to Jim Simmons' blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/ent ... 680c49882f
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

The RadioFeeds UK & Ireland plugin has now been added to the "Other 3rd party plugins" section of Logitech Media Server
Settings -> Plugins tab -> Other 3rd Party Plugins -> RadioFeeds UK and Ireland
Can someone using SqueezePlay OS with LMS installed on the same Joggler confirm that installation works for them as well, please? (You'll need a username, which you can get from registering at http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/squeeze, if you don't already have one).
gegs

Post by gegs »

vinnielo wrote:Can someone using SqueezePlay OS with LMS installed on the same Joggler confirm that installation works for them as well, please? (You'll need a username, which you can get from registering at http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/squeeze, if you don't already have one).
I can confirm that it works for me on the same installation medium (LMS and SqpOS running on the same USB stick.) I haven't got LMS and SqpOS running on a Joggler's internal memory.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Thanks. I'll invite SqueezePlayer OS users to register for the service, then!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Will this work on PNPIII please .:-)
Happy Joggling
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Yes, this new method is also available to PnP III users. No need to SSH now!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks , will try it out .:-)
Happy Joggling