PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download v3.101 here!

Post by pete »

Thank-you offbeatdave.

Great news.

Will do a total back up of the Utility company OpenPeak tonight.

This one doesn't have any phone stuff on it but has the Zigbee interface, Bluetooth, GSM modem stuff, WIreless and wired interface. I haven't played much with it lately.

In order to write back the partitions to the phone hub Openpeak do I need to format the flash rom?

Can I just write the FH partition, then each one of the four partitions; one by one?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

I updated to the latest PNPIII and now the time server is refusing to update. I've tried connecting via cable and wifi. Both servers are set to uk.pool.ntp.org Various combinations of reboot.

Any ideas?

I'll try leaving it overnight.

edit: if I telnet in and do "ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org" I get "bus error"
pete

Post by pete »

Here working on the Openframe until the wee hours of the morning (3 or 4 AM?). It was quiet in the "cellar" or basement three floors down while my wife slept. For whatever reason she walked downstairs around 4 AM and watched me as I sat mesmerized in front of the Openframe screen.

That said she didn't say anything until she was literally inches from me; startled me a bit; then I went to sleep. I think I had somewhat fallen asleep with my eyes open. I am not going to say what state the Openframe box is in right now other than it is still booting as far as I can tell.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Here working on the Openframe until the wee hours of the morning (3 or 4 AM?
Ah yes, they lure you in these Jogglers. Then before you know it, they've ensnared you!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

Here is a quickie review of where I am at with the "Utilities" Openframe.

1 - using Mint backed up the entire disk drive.
2 - I then DD'd it back to "test"
3 - just got a white screen upon reboot. Booting is still working.
4 - I then using Mint wrote it again. I did notice that it would stall on writing then continue making the process very long.
5 - I then wrote the original Joggler OS. Still a white screen on boot.
6 - I then wrote the "compact" Openframe OS to it. It boots fine but no audio with this one.

There is something different about this device and I cannot pin it down right now.

Maybe because this one has the Zigbee and GSM modem stuff its a bit different inside?

Can I try booting your original image to this box via Mint?
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

No problem Pete. Well, in theory anyway - I'll zip it up tomorrow and see how much space it takes up and then work out where I can upload it.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks offbeatdave.

I have "box" space on the internet but do not know how to share it as I have never done that. You are welcome to utilize it if and when I figure it out.

It seems that the slow format read and write thing that Roobarb is doing with the smaller and newer Joggler image does well.

How long did it take you to write back the entire drive in Linux Mint?

Here it took over 30 minutes and it was starting and stopping every other minutes.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Right, I've got the 2Gb image down to a 750Mb tar.gz file so will find somewhere to get this uploaded. May have to be at work tomorrow though where uploading is quicker!

When I get this done, you'll need to extract the 'openframe2.img' file from the archive. This is the image of my OpenFrame2 unit (courtesy of Buzz and the gang at our wonderful forum) as it arrived, BEFORE I did any tinkering with it.

The code I use to restore it in mint is:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /dev/mmcblk0*
sudo dd if=<path to imgage file>/openframe2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=10M
I think it takes me anywhere between 7 and 15 minutes to write from my stick.

After this, I'd advise doing a:

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1 -y
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p2 -y
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p3 -y
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p4 -y
as I think when I originally created the image back in July/August 2012, there may have been a glitch on mmcblk0p4 (or it might just have appeared subsequently when I installed stuff from PnP III on it).

I'll let you know when I get the image uploaded somewhere.
barker77

Post by barker77 »

Really interested in installing pnp on my joggler but would love to be able to leave the joggler on and use it to vpn back to when out and about - is this possible?
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks offbeatdave.

Today installed roobarb's latest firmware. It is booting fine and everything appears to work except for the sound. I connected an external USB card and that works fine.

I tried also today to copy back the original backed up image. Wierd stuff. It'll start with the Openpeak logo, play the O2 sound logo then go to a wierd screen.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

barker77 wrote:Really interested in installing pnp on my joggler but would love to be able to leave the joggler on and use it to vpn back to when out and about - is this possible?
No experience of VPN, but I very much doubt it.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

barker77 wrote:Really interested in installing pnp on my joggler but would love to be able to leave the joggler on and use it to vpn back to when out and about - is this possible?
it depends, if you have a VPN that allows to browse your network you can see you Joggler like all other devices.
What do you mean saying "use it to VPN"?
pete

Post by pete »

If you want you can utilize VPN in a simple SSH tunnel allowing an "overlay" of the basic Joggler OS inside of the SSH tunnel. But I too am not sure what you meant by using VPN?

Personally here I do that. You can also do that today with most telephones. IE: create an SSH tunnel; logging into the SSH tunnel on your home network then getting to whatever you want inside of your network. You can make it even more secure by created an encrypted key, saving it as a "token" of sorts such that you can utilize it with whatever. It really can be easier though than opening up separate TCP / UDP ports on a firewall.
- Pete

Auto mater
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

Morning jogglers,
I have been playing with my setup for a while now and I believe I must have two slightly different jogglers. One is very stable with the pnpiii software but my second player is more troublesome. I really only use squeeze play and the second player acts as my lms but it keeps dropping out from squeeze play into the main menu. When it does this the music keeps playing but some of the installed app are missing. I I installed the squeezeos from rhoobarbs site at it works OK apart from the lms not showing album art work......very strange.

Anyway does anyone else have the same issues? I'm tempted to buy a raspberry pi to act as the lms and just use the squeezeos on the troublesome joggler.
offbeatdave

PnP III v3.201 on the way soon...

Post by offbeatdave »

PnP III v3.201 on the way soon...
Main new addition: Bootable automatic USB installer with Roobarb's clean OpenPeak OS v30300
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download v3.201 here!

Post by offbeatdave »

Download the current version
The current version (v3.201) can be downloaded from here. (updated 7th February 2013)
Previous version (v3.101) can be downloaded from here.

New to v3.201:
**Bootable USB installation tested and working on Roobarb's OpenPeak OS v30300
THANKS ROOBARB FOR ASSISTING WITH THIS!

**squeezelite player and required libs installed for manual launching at present
**Fixed possible wrong refence to LMS plugin file in OpenPeak version installer
**Changed telnet/putty login/password combination to joggler/joggler to allign with other Joggler OS and tools
**Updated to roobarb's Squeezeplay v1.53
**USA Today removed as no longer updates.
**Little tweak to attached installation instructions
**PDF Reader installed from original gforums PnP
**Installation files unzipped direct from stick
**Media app removed - not as functional as separate players.

Read the detailed changelog here.

EDIT: PDF Reader DOES now run properly.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Oooh exciting! I'm looking forward to trying this out. What does this mean/do?
offbeatdave wrote:**Bootable USB installation tested and working on Roobarb's OpenPeak OS v30300
or is it explained somewhere? Thanks offbeatdave.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

It means that if you reflash using the combination of roobarb's reflasher and his custom OpenPeak OS v30300 image, you can reflash, then reboot your Joggler with the PnP stick in the machine to install PnP automatically without getting your hands grubby with Telnet/Putty (although the Telnet/Putty method still works).
c1432666

Post by c1432666 »

offbeatdave wrote:It means that if you reflash using the combination of roobarb's reflasher and his custom OpenPeak OS v30300 image, you can reflash, then reboot your Joggler with the PnP stick in the machine to install PnP automatically without getting your hands grubby with Telnet/Putty (although the Telnet/Putty method still works).
Received my first joggler last night and did exactly this at 11pm, perfect timing eh.

Thanks for all the good work you and roobarb have put into this, great effort chaps, keep it up. Love putting my mates $$$$ Sonos system to shame!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

c1432666 wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:It means that if you reflash using the combination of roobarb's reflasher and his custom OpenPeak OS v30300 image, you can reflash, then reboot your Joggler with the PnP stick in the machine to install PnP automatically without getting your hands grubby with Telnet/Putty (although the Telnet/Putty method still works).
Received my first joggler last night and did exactly this at 11pm, perfect timing eh.

Thanks for all the good work you and roobarb have put into this, great effort chaps, keep it up. Love putting my mates $$$$ Sonos system to shame!
Spot on!