PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download v3.101 here!

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:To the best of my somewhat limited knowledge, it can't be done!
I think this might be due to the limitations of the Squeezeplay software rather than the Joggler's own capabilities. There's no way that I can see to "minimize" Squeezeplay, you can only close it completely. If it had a way to access the Joggler home screen (other than exiting) maybe it would continue to run in the background.

The only instance of multi-tasking that I can think of on the Joggler stock OS (other than running LMS in the background whilst doing other stuff) is the Lounge radio app. It's been a while since I've used it but I think the Lounge app allows you to play a radio station and exit the app to do other things, but the radio will keep playing. To stop the music you have to open the Lounge app again and hit the "stop" button.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi Gegs;
sorry for my stubborness...
But I think it should be possible.
Not w/ Squeezeplay alone, but w/ the addition of a tiny softwareplayer called 'Squeezelite', as outlined by florca (Phil). Check out his thread: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 856#p14499.
He tried it within SqueezeOS and it worked:
florca wrote:...What you're trying to achieve (use squeezelite as a background player, operable when Squeezeplay is inactive) should work fine - just tried "relaunching" Squeezeplay on SqpOS and squeezelite continued playing without missing a beat...
So, I will try it, but I need some input from florca on where/how to get some missing libraries installed.

Let's cross fingers!!
Cheers, Heiner
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Offbeatdave I'm having trouble with the new PnPIII zip file. I've downloaded it 3 times now and each time when I try to extract the files it tells me that there are no files to extract. Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT; don't worry - I'll try a different pc. :)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Offbeatdave I'm having trouble with the new PnPIII zip file. I've downloaded it 3 times now and each time when I try to extract the files it tells me that there are no files to extract. Any ideas? Thanks.

I've just downloaded it and there are definitely files in there! Not sure what's gone wrong with yours. Sorry.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Offbeatdave I'm having trouble with the new PnPIII zip file. I've downloaded it 3 times now and each time when I try to extract the files it tells me that there are no files to extract. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you get this going in the end?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:Did you get this going in the end?
Yes thanks - not sure why my laptop kept corrupting it :?:
Haven't had time to load it onto a usb and try it out but I'm sure it'll work beautifully. Thanks again for your hard work!
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

Guys i need some help. I have been setting up another joggler and i though all had gone well. I tried to run squeeze play but it gets stuck on the connecting to server page. I tried accessing the :9000 page and it wasn't available. Are there any commands I can throw at the joggler to start the server? II have tried reinstalling PNP 3 over the top but the server still isnt running.

Thanks

Dave
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

You can try: restart lms option in swf manager or reboot the joggler or reflash and reinstall. I don't recommend installing over the top, although i've never actually tried it. Note that when lms starts it does take a few seconds. Also, double check the ip address of the joggler.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Hello:

thanks for the new version, I like it

can I set vpn in it?

thanks
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Currently working on v3.201, in which squeezelite MAY be implemented.

What WILL be implemented, is a standardisation of p/word credentials to the classic joggler/joggler combo to try and keep everything aligned.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

offbeatdave wrote:Currently working on v3.201, in which squeezelite MAY be implemented.

What WILL be implemented, is a standardisation of p/word credentials to the classic joggler/joggler combo to try and keep everything aligned.

may I ask what's the difference between the previous squeeze player and squeezelite?
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

...squeezelite is a headless player, which can be used in addition to squeezeplay. You still operate it through squeezeplay; the benefit is that it can continue to play while squeezeplay can be switched off i.e. you can use other apps while the music keeps playing.....
I am eagerly waiting for this beeing available on PNPIII, since I was not able to get it running the way I want to on my own...
:-)
PTK

Post by PTK »

I think my question essentially boils down to how do you mount a NAS from PnP III:

I'm a newbie...installed PnP III - works a treat and mightily impressed. Unfortunately can't get device to do the one thing I bought it for (and I've been at it for hours and hours). Have all my music stored on a NAS (Buffalo Linkstation). I can browse using UPnP app to get to the required album after about a dozen folder hops (that's iTunes for ye), but I want to be able to get straight to the music thru Squeezeplay rather than search for it every time thru uPnP (similar to being able to use iTunes rather than having to play your music thru a raft of folders in Windows Explorer).

I assume the best way to do it is to run LMS on the Joggler and play through Squeezeplay. I've created a Squeezebox account and logged into LMS no problem. As part of the setup of LMS it asks for the path to the Music folder on the NAS and also the Playlist folder. The following post from JimbobVFR400 is the solution but it only works for the SqueezePlay OS not PnP III.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 360#p13234

Does anyone know how to mount a NAS from LMS or how to configure PnP III to mount it so that apps such as Photos, Music, Squeezeplay, etc can mount straight to the NAS - linking to USB only is quite restrictive (for me). Quite a few people seem to want to do the above, but I haven't seen the solution posted.

Many thanks.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

PTK - understand what you are trying to achieve but unfortunately think you will hit problems. :(

As you will have read LMS can be run on a Joggler under either SqPOS or PnPIII.
However the Joggler internal memory capacity is limited such that the log files generated by LMS when it catalogues almost any reasonably-sized music library rapidly fills the memory and causes the Joggler to fall over.
Given that you are looking to hook up to a NAS I'm guessing your library would be large enough to hit this problem.
SqPOS users get around it by running SqPOS & LMS on a higher capacity USB stick, eg 8GB, and booting from that.
Unfortunately PnPIII users cannot do that because PnPIII cannot be made to run off a USB stick.

An alternative for you could be to run LMS on the Buffalo itself.
Some models support that and there is chat on the forum about how to do it.
Be warned - there is also plenty of chat about how poor NAS drives can be as LMS hosts...

My personal recommendation is to have a dedicated SqPOS Joggler running LMS on a high capacity USB stick somewhere in your set up.
It could be the Joggler you already have by either booting with the stick for SqPOS or without for PnPIII (but then PnPIII will never be able to see the NAS).
Or, spend 50 quid on eBay and get another Joggler to be SqPOS/LMS dedicated.
You can then point your PnPIII Joggler at that to access your music - and enjoy music in 2 rooms rather than one!!! :)
themystical

Post by themystical »

PTK wrote:I think my question essentially boils down to how do you mount a NAS from PnP III:

I'm a newbie...installed PnP III - works a treat and mightily impressed. Unfortunately can't get device to do the one thing I bought it for (and I've been at it for hours and hours). Have all my music stored on a NAS (Buffalo Linkstation). I can browse using UPnP app to get to the required album after about a dozen folder hops (that's iTunes for ye), but I want to be able to get straight to the music thru Squeezeplay rather than search for it every time thru uPnP (similar to being able to use iTunes rather than having to play your music thru a raft of folders in Windows Explorer).

I assume the best way to do it is to run LMS on the Joggler and play through Squeezeplay. I've created a Squeezebox account and logged into LMS no problem. As part of the setup of LMS it asks for the path to the Music folder on the NAS and also the Playlist folder. The following post from JimbobVFR400 is the solution but it only works for the SqueezePlay OS not PnP III.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 360#p13234

Does anyone know how to mount a NAS from LMS or how to configure PnP III to mount it so that apps such as Photos, Music, Squeezeplay, etc can mount straight to the NAS - linking to USB only is quite restrictive (for me). Quite a few people seem to want to do the above, but I haven't seen the solution posted.

Many thanks.
Try this syntax for the mount:
//192.168.0.16/music /mnt/music cifs user=admin,password=foobar,netdev 0
The original syntax in JimbobVFR400's post did not work for me but this slightly modified version did (although I have not tried it with PNP3).
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I don't think PNP3 has the added gumpf to mount network shares. It's easy enough to get working in one of the Linux distros or SqPOS. In fact this is exactly what I do. A dedicated joggler running SqPOS for LMS and 2 other jogglers running PNP3 that connect to the LMS. I also have a buffalo NAS with my music on it.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:Currently working on v3.201, in which squeezelite MAY be implemented.
Tease :D

Offbeatdave, I updated the final joggler to enter the house with the newest version of PNPIII and tweaked all necessary bits for our location so it was ready to go straight out of the box for my SO on xmas morning. What a lucky devil... (although cheeky monkey wanted to know why XBMC wasn't on there... which just goes to show there's no pleasing some people!!).

As always, thank you!
PTK

Post by PTK »

themystical...thanks for the syntax (//192.168.0.16/music /mnt/music cifs user=admin,password=foobar,netdev 0) - I couldn't get it to work though - likely a reflection on my technical ability.

Fishy & Jimbob - greatly appreciate the responses. Your previous posts have saved me a lot of time and the latest are no different. I'm leaning towards SqPOS, most likely with my existing Joggler, and once I get it working, I'll plump for a second running PnPIII.

A couple of quick questions re SqPOS if you wouldn't mind:
- is it stable - can I leave the device on for weeks/months at a time?
- have I read correctly - does it boot straight into SqueezePlay? I'd like to keep it beside the bed - having the alarm clock and perhaps the web browser apps on it would be useful.
- I've no need for wireless, so can I maybe take a USB extension cable from the wireless USB port, out the back and run SqPOS from a 16Gb stick?
- and if I remove the stick, can I then boot up in PnPIII?

Thanks again.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

PTK - taking your points in order:

- SqPOS is stable; I leave mine permanently switched on and it's been rock solid. Have had far more problems with the PnPIII Jogglers, eg failing to reboot after power interruptions, complete freezes during iPlayer/Youtube requiring a rebuild to correct, etc, etc. Could be a reflection of the fact that SqPOS is running on a USB and PNPIII on the (poor) Joggler internal memory rather than problems with the software itself but nevertheless that has been my experience.
- Yes, boots straight into Squeezeplay. Think there is an alarm clock and also think there is some very limited browsing capability but haven't used either myself.
- You've understood correctly. Build it as a PnPIII Joggler and put SqPOS on a USB stick, (8GB has been fine for me so 16GB will nail it). Then when you boot without the stick you will get PnPIII; with the stick you'll get SqPOS. If you can't live with the aesthetics of the stick protruding from the right hand side do as you suggest and use a USB extension cable running from the unneeded internal wireless USB mount and hide everything around the back. (Presume you have seen Joggler disassembly instructions here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMLUIoYQm4)

Happy new year!!
PTK

Post by PTK »

Thanks Fishy. Before I order a 16Gb stick are there any specific brands to go for/avoid or is it pot luck?

Also, in some previous posts I did see mention of the sound failing on SqPOS after 15mins or so. Has that been sorted?

Much appreciated.