PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download v3.101 here!

Post by pete »

I did notice odd lockups with no reponse to touch; I thought it was me though.

How are you getting back to your original image? Are you using the reflasher or are you manually writing to the flash?

Here tried the original Joggler updated firmware posted here:
with the reflash script posted here:
Sound worked with this setup just fine.

Can I just run your PHP3 script with this image installed?

Next was going to try this one (maybe I will wait though as it didn't work for you):

ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz

But before I try it; was it the one that you tried after most current and didn't have sound?
I've just used the small OpenPeak reflasher and again, no sound
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Yeah, that openpeak small one was the one I tried and had no sound! It's interesting that the o2 version worked though. Not sure what it points to - drivers and libs is the only thing I can think of.

I restored an OpenFrame image I'd dd'd via Linux Mint (from when I first received the unit) and resorted to popping stuff back in chunks and manually from my pnp3op.sh and pnp3op.shx scripts, missing out some bits such as brightness settings (may cut this from PnP anyway as not sure it does much) and bits referring to deleting apps/reinstating apps.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

Here at the original O2 OS as posted above; looks to be working fine. That said though I get a telnet prompt but cannot login. I tired joggler / joggler and root / nothing and letmein / nothing and letmein / joggler.

Do you know what the login is?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Ah-ha - I don't think you can telnet into the o2 OS. You need to enable it with one of roobarb's gadgets or you could try to boot from a PnP stick and see if it goes through the motions (10-15 minutes this way) and installs (it was set to install telnet, ssh etc on the o2 OS). I think it still works on the current PnP download.
pete

Post by pete »

Wierd though because I am getting a telnet prompt.

That said though I installed roobarb's script for telnet and SSH and got into it.

I then installed PnP3 on a stick and ran your script. It did its stuff and current at the blank screen part of the installation.

The ssh console though is still working at installing all kinds of stuff.

The last stuff it showed in the SSH window before reboot is the following:
SetupWallpaper.lua
mkdir: cannot create directory '/media/gforums/apps/logitechmediaserver/prefs': File exists
cp: cannot stat '/mnt/homefiles/PnP_home.shx': No such file or directory
mv: cannot rename '/media/PnP_home.shx': No such file or directory
chmod: /media/PnP_home.sh: No such file or directory
./pnp3op.sh: line 786: ./PnP_home.sh: not found
# Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames. Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
Rebooted once and did some stuff then a second time. Really taking a while on the OpenPeak logo the second time around.

I will walk away now as I want to let it run some more before unplugging it (I have done that previously with the Joggler O2 original boxes and messed up the installation of the PnP script).

Booted a third time. This time it went to a blank screen a bit after the OpenPeak logo.
Last edited by pete on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

that's just it looking for my own bits and starting lms.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; never did go to the gui. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it just goes to a blank screen.

That said though I can telnet and SSH to it just fine.

Something else is going on. So thinking of rerunning your script or just leaving it alone for today....getting Jogglered out now....
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Just to play some more; loaded XP on it. The network card came right up.

It is seen as a different network card. Correct time came up. No sound but its seeing a whole different sound card.
- Pete

Auto mater
jkn

Post by jkn »

Sometime ago, after offbeatdave updated PnP III to include the shutdown script and icon (thanks!), he (I think) asked for information about any flash memory corruptions when using the shutdown script.

I think I can report a couple oc cases. However, in both cases the problem does not, I think, occur due to the shutdown. Rather, it is due to a careless power-cycling after that. Ie. I think this is what happens

- shutdown script run (OK)
any time later...
- power switch (at mains) switched OFF
- power switch immediately switched ON again

If one is more patient and leaves the power off for longer (10 secs, say) then I don't think I've had any problems.

I don't know if the same thing occurs if you disconnect, and immediately reconnect, the 5V DC plug, instead of switching at the mains

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Cheers
Jon N
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

If one is more patient and leaves the power off for longer (10 secs, say) then I don't think I've had any problems.
My 'feeling' is that this is safer. For example, if I've been away on my hols and powered down, when I return and power up, even my most temperamental joggler tends to reboot. It's during a flurry of tinkering that I seem to have most problems (i.e. when I'm less patient). I do think patience helps.
pete

Post by pete »

Here regressed a bit and dropped down to the original OP img.bin. That said everything works except if I run the PnP3 script. I have been trying to add stuff and remove stuff slowly by hand.

I was thinking though what would happen if I used the original img.bin file and left everything the same what would happen?

offbeatdave.

Is your original core img efi boot partition the original Telios one?
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Yeah, it's a Telios on with phone apps, most of the ones from the OpenPeak firmware and a few additional apps (some of which don't update anymore). I'll pop up a list later when I get a chance.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks OffbeatDave,

Yes; here backed up the original stuff; IE: efi.rom and the 4 partitions on the newer Openframe2 device. Only thing was that it appeared to be already pretty hacked.

A couple of days ago I had an issue writing to the efi.rom piece via a plan old ssh session. It seemed to hang. The only way I was able to get it to work was to install the seabios boot rom and then use that to write the original rom. It took a couple of minutes.

So in case that I do have a soldered flash chip on the newer test boxes; I would prefer to go slower with doing any mods to the box (that and I cannot open it at this time).

That said I was going to try Roobarb's posted FTP Telio build that is here.

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... lio.img.gz

using Roobarb's flash application. Only thing is that I want to make sure that I can get back into the device via telnet/ssh and that it doesn't try to get an update.

Did you piecemeal you PnPIII stuff to your original OpenpeakII Telio device or did you run your script and do it all at once?
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I've fiddled with a PnP script to do it all in one go via telnet. Took out references to screen brightness and removing and reinstating op apps and also took out lines where I'd deleted stuff on OpenPeak OS to make space such as libs to do with phone functionality.

One thing that did happen after a reimage of the 'clean' OS was that I did have an error on mmcblk0p4 which prevented me from writing in some directories. Ran a

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/mmcblk0p4 -y
from Mint and this fixed it. I think roobarb's clean images are different to mine if I remember correctly from trying them. I think one is in a foreign language! Do you want me to upload my clean .img file somewhere which can be written with a dd command?
pete

Post by pete »

offbeatdave,

Are you referring to the efi boot rom image?

Did you also DD the four partitions?

When you restored your stuff did you first write back the efi boot; then your four partitions.

Did you do all of this from a linux boot stick and via telnet or locally with a keyboard?

Apologies for sounding a bit slow on the uptake here.

I want to do this in baby steps such that I don't mess up the Openpeak2 device. (similiar to the way I approached the efi flash chip hot swap thing et al)
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Not done anything writing efi. Just have image of whole thing mmcblk0 which contains the four partitions. These are therefore dd'd in one go.
pete

Post by pete »

So let me see if I understand.

I just boot into whatever Linux OS and DD the write to the whole flash chip in one shot?

So basically mmcblk0 is the whole thing where as mmcblk0p1, mmcblk0p2, mmcblk0p3, mmcblk0p4 are the formatted 4 partitions on the flash chip?

I guess then I messed up a bit saving the original OS (already played with before I got it) stuff cuz I backed up the EFI then each of the parititions separately versus the whole thing.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Backing up and then restoring individual partitions works as well.
I just like to dd the image in and out in one go via a Linux OS.
So basically mmcblk0 is the whole thing where as mmcblk0p1, mmcblk0p2, mmcblk0p3, mmcblk0p4 are the formatted 4 partitions on the flash chip?
Yuup!
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you offbeatDave!

More questions.

Are you booting your Mint Linux build via a hub with keyboard and mouse attached?

Are you telnetting/SSHing to your Linux build to do the back up or just using a mouse and keyboard connected to the Openframe box.

Lately I've been using the powered little Digi USB hub and it works OK.

I couldn't find a small enough pin connector for the top USB port so I ordered one last week.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I set up a Mint distro on an 8Gb stick and, using a hub, keyboard and mouse set it up with scripts and shortcuts to backup/restore via icons so now I can just boot direct from the USB stick.

Incidentally, I now have the hub attached to the OpenFrame unit with a couple of leads from it to charge my Nexus 7s/phones/digi cam.