Squeezeplay OS - 'hang' in screensaver

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
multiplex

Squeezeplay OS - 'hang' in screensaver

Post by multiplex »

Hi fellow Joggler fans.
I've got a couple of Jogglers here running Squeezeplay OS, and obviously squeezeplay - wonderful addition to my other players!

Every couple of months/weeks they (it's the same on both - sometimes they are both hung) don't properly respond to a touch when idle. Normally they are dark and you can touch the screen to get the Time/Date screensaver and there's a button top left to 'switch on' squeezeplay. But sometimes when you touch you get the display but the time/date is quite old and there's no switch-on button.
All comes back to normal for a few months after a reboot.
To be fair they don't get a huge amount of use but they are a useful thing to have up in the bedrooms.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before I start trying to debug it. Or I may just re-flash the image...
I've searched the form and didn't find any similar issue.
It may be a squeezeplay issue - sometimes the Touch I have just re-boots itself...

Cheers
Ian
goodlife

Re: Squeezeplay OS - 'hang' in screensaver

Post by goodlife »

Hello,

Yes, I get the same every few weeks. I use the photo slideshow screensaver, and it just hangs showing the same picture, not responding to touch.
When this happens I ssh in and 'sudo shutdown -r now' to reboot.
I haven't tried to debug why it's happening.

Rob
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

Thanks
As I was pulling the power plug I was thinking that I should be using SSH to see what's left running and doing a nice reboot...
Must make a note of the IP addresses - the other thought was just get them to re-boot one a week (ever X weeks maybe) when I'm at work with a cron job
Cheers
Ian
pete

Post by pete »

Personally I think that it'll just run out of memory after a bit. (or a memory leak). 512Mb of RAM and 1 Gb of drive space is not much these days.

All of that RW will take a toll on the 1Gb flash after a bit. Maybe an 8Gb mini USB stick might do better. Early Joggler days here went to adding an internal extra USB port such that I used two devices inside; IE: wlan USB and SSD USB sticks (tight fit but worked).

Way back built an XBMC 2gb OS build on the Openframe 7 (Joggler with the two speakers in the front). It ran fine upon starting but only had a week of good running time where as it debend ed at the end of the week.

That said what works for me is just running latest version of SP on Buzz's last version of Ubuntu 14.04 deluxe. Just autostart SP on boot if you want.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater