SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
palindrom

Re: SqueezePlay OS (V3) - joggler brightness and strange pla

Post by palindrom »

jogglerhase wrote: Another thing I want to mention:
Since updating to v300, strange Players populate my http://www.mysqueezebox.com account:
'kitchen', 'lounge' and others and a huge bunch (10+) of 'squeezeplayer' - all of them set to the UK timezone.
I deleted most of them from my account, but 'lounge' is still connected and refuses to unconnect.
Any ideas why that is and how to get rid of them?
('lounge' MAC adress: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:fe - is that yours by any chance?)

All the best, Heiner
This problem is hooked up to the Random MAC the joggler receives after any new FW flash.
And the registration with the Random MAC at www.mysqueezebox.com (which might be re/double-used within the community)

This might WIFIto ETH MAC approach help: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =40#p22999
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:.... you can force the correct backlight by providing a massively simplified xorg.conf file. I'll be rolling this in to v3.01, but if you're running v3.00 and would like a proper fix, just SSH in to the command line and:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then copy and paste this little lot:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "gma500"
	Driver      "fbdev"
	Option      "Backlight"      "openframe-bl"
EndSection
CTRL-X and 'y' to save. Then give it a reboot and all should be well.
Excellent! This works nicely. Thank you, roobarb!
Heiner
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

palindrom wrote:
jogglerhase wrote: .... strange Players populate my http://www.mysqueezebox.com account....
This problem is hooked up to the Random MAC the joggler receives after any new FW flash.
And the registration with the Random MAC at http://www.mysqueezebox.com (which might be re/double-used within the community)

This might WIFIto ETH MAC approach help: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =40#p22999
Thanks for the suggestion, palindrom.
Unfortunately, I am running my joggler w/ unplugged WiFi (I use that internal port for my USB drive), so this won't work.

Would you be able to provide a sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh file, where I can just manually update the MAC adress in the file?
Or point me to the part in the file where I would need to change that?

Heiner
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:This problem is hooked up to the Random MAC the joggler receives after any new FW flash.
And the registration with the Random MAC at http://www.mysqueezebox.com (which might be re/double-used within the community)
Just to gauge some preference on this; would people prefer it if, when a wireless card is present but you're using the ethernet connection, that the wireless card's MAC address be used rather than the generated address?

Just to be clear, I'm referring here to palindrom's modification to sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh which copies the MAC from the WLAN card onto the configuration for the ethernet connection.

What this means in practice:

1. Leave As Is
Everything works, but you use a generated MAC address for the ethernet connection (because MACs cost money and OpenPeak just reused the one Realtek gave the wifi card). You can use both interfaces at the same time (but you would have had to go into the OS and twiddle to make that a possibility anyway). You may well see multiple devices in your mysqueezebox.com account - if by some miracle you managed to get that working. ;)

2. Use Wifi MAC
We do as OpenPeak did and just use the wifi MAC for everything. It's unique, so you shouldn't get multiple devices appearing in mysqueezebox.com. You would not be able to use both devices at the same time without getting into the OS and twiddling.

I think I'm leaning towards option 2 on this one, because I see SQPOS more as an 'appliance' than a blank-slate OS - although it's easily changed into one. Plus, you'd have to be doing some serious messing around to warrant using both interfaces simultaneously, eg. using your Joggler as a wifi hotspot.

Opinions, please! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by castalla »

Option 2

But, I've never used anything but wifi, and still found foreign' macs in mysb.com account .....
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:But, I've never used anything but wifi, and still found foreign' macs in mysb.com account .....
Now that is bizarre.

Okay, I'm pointing the finger squarely at the mysqueezebox.com site in that case. I've just checked my account and there's nothing in there but an old registration of a test Joggler from ages ago, so for some people, something is screwy, and if they're getting MAC addresses registered that they don't recognise, then it can't be our implementation of SqueezePlay. It just wouldn't have a different value to send.

Anyway, the poll still stands. Option 1 or Option 2, everyone? :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:.....
Anyway, the poll still stands. Option 1 or Option 2, everyone? :)
I vote for option 2- if possible, with the additional option to edit the MAC Address used? (I.e. if you pulled the WLAN Card like me...)

Heiner
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

I vote for option 2 :)

Its exactly the same behavior my SB Touch and SB Radio have:
JFYI: LMS uses the MAC Address to identify the Player (player ID).
All settings are hooked to that ID: Audio Synchronization, Alarm Clock, Power Save App,...

If you like to keep all LMS server side settings after a FW update, you need to keep the player ID (see LMS Settings/Info Screen).
In addition you could copy (and restore) /home/joggler/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings where all your Joggler settings are stored.
If you ID changed this is not really working.
Last edited by palindrom on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

jogglerhase wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, palindrom.
Unfortunately, I am running my joggler w/ unplugged WiFi (I use that internal port for my USB drive), so this won't work.

Would you be able to provide a sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh file, where I can just manually update the MAC address in the file?
Or point me to the part in the file where I would need to change that?

Heiner

just edit the interfaces settings

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
where 01:02:03:04:05:06 could be any MAC Address you like.

Updating the NetworkSettings app to provide MAC Address (and fixed IP-Address) handling is not a big deal.
But it should be done in conjunction with a harmonized sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh file.

All depends on the implementation roobarb! is choosing.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Would option 2 involve changes/complications to the way we set up the os after creating a image?
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

roobarb! wrote:
roobarb! wrote:Told you it was a quick and dirty fix. The backlight will still come on full, but only for a second - it will then dim to the correct level.
I've managed to figure out this backlight bug now. Turned out not to be a fault in the kernel, but with Xserver - it turns out that many people have had similar issues controlling backlights that are not hooked up to /sys/class/backlight/acpi_videoX. None of the kernel parameters make a difference.

Previously everything was auto-configuring, but you can force the correct backlight by providing a massively simplified xorg.conf file. I'll be rolling this in to v3.01, but if you're running v3.00 and would like a proper fix, just SSH in to the command line and:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then copy and paste this little lot:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "gma500"
	Driver      "fbdev"
	Option      "Backlight"      "openframe-bl"
EndSection
CTRL-X and 'y' to save. Then give it a reboot and all should be well.
THX roobarb! this finally solved the backlight problem(s) (Brightness and Standby).

If you are creating a new release, please consider adding the JogglerUpdateModel applet too.

This app will identify our Joggler(s) as being an OF1 or OF2 device to the LMS which is essential for server-side applets.
S1
S1
S2
S2
S3
S3
Attachments
JogglerUpdateModel.zip
JogglerUpdateModel
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Would option 2 involve changes/complications to the way we set up the os after creating a image?
No, it would be pretty much the same. In fact, it would likely be invisible. I'll need to have a poke around to find out which method works best, though.
palindrom wrote:If you are creating a new release, please consider adding the JogglerUpdateModel applet too.
I'll have a look at this too. To be honest I feel this is something it should handle automatically... I'll see if I can tie it in somewhere.
castalla

Post by castalla »

This app will identify our Joggler(s) as being an OF1 or OF2 device to the LMS which is essential for server-side applets.
What does this mean?
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

castalla wrote:
What does this mean?
The player type can be used to display the according OpenFrame1/2 image within LMS Settings.
The nightly build of LMS supports showing the Player Type.<br />Where all versions use it to display the according Player Image.
The nightly build of LMS supports showing the Player Type.
Where all versions use it to display the according Player Image.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

roobarb! wrote: I'll have a look at this too. To be honest I feel this is something it should handle automatically... I'll see if I can tie it in somewhere.
That would be my preferred solution too. The applet is just my workaround.
Please consider only to change the Player Type (=model) not the Player Model (=modelname) which should stay SqueezePlay.

Examples:

Player Model: SqueezePlay
Player Type: OpenFrame1
-------
Player Model: SqueezePlay
Player Type: OpenFrame2
-------
Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
Player Type: baby
-------
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

palindrom wrote:
roobarb! wrote: I'll have a look at this too. To be honest I feel this is something it should handle automatically... I'll see if I can tie it in somewhere.
That would be my preferred solution too. The applet is just my workaround.
Please consider only to change the Player Type (=model) not the Player Model (=modelname) which should stay SqueezePlay.
Thanks, that's good to know.
jogglerhase

SqueezePlay OS - Version 4??

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi Roobarb;
I have a suggestion for a future release of squeezeplayOS - it would be a bigger change though, I guess.

Background: I am a bit frustrated that Squeezeplay does not play WMA files natively due to licensing issues.
(OK, LMS can transcode this, but this causes delays which mess up player syncronization)
To work around this, I tried to install Squeezelite (from Triode from the slimdevices forum) ontop of your SqueezePlay OS.
I got this mostly working - also now playing WMA files natively - but there are still some glitches. A major one for me is that certain (WMA) streams it just wont't play - i.e. the NPR Radio plugin.
I strongly suspect that there is some bad interaction between squeezeplay and squeezelite.

So, the solution would be:
Build a Squeezeplay OS, which is not using Squeezeplay at all.
Instead, use:
Jivelite (https://code.google.com/p/jivelite/) essentially a squeezebox control application identical to squeezeplay minus the actual player part
plus
Squeezelite (http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/; however also installable via apt-get install squeezelite) - essentially better player than squeezeplayer

This would also be better in terms of long time support, as Jivelite and Squeezelite are actively developed, are open source and therefor have the possibility to support newer file formats aso....

What do you think?

Heiner
palindrom

Re: SqueezePlay OS - Version 4??

Post by palindrom »

jogglerhase wrote: Background: I am a bit frustrated that Squeezeplay does not play WMA files natively due to licensing issues.
(OK, LMS can transcode this, but this causes delays which mess up player syncronization)
Heiner
Why is transcoding causing any synchronization problems?
I use SOX (transcoding) for Digital Room Correction and/or 5.1 to Dolby Surround Down Mix.
Transcoding is done before the stream is send and synchronized to the player(s).
castalla

Post by castalla »

palindrom wrote:
castalla wrote:
What does this mean?
The player type can be used to display the according OpenFrame1/2 image within LMS Settings.
S4.JPG
So what do you mean by 'essential for applets? It's just a picture. no?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:So what do you mean by 'essential for applets? It's just a picture. no?
I believe this to be the case, but as a bit of a completist myself it would be cute to add. ;)