SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
belrik

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by belrik »

"Display Standby sometimes fails to work until the setting is re-applied, is there a reason? I'm *not* using the timer functionality which I have read can affect this.

I also have the screensaver set to "screen off" with a delay of 30 seconds and the display timeout set to switch off after 1 minute.

I want the screen to take 1 touch to "activate" and switch on without that first touch pressing any buttons but I also want the backlight to be off so there is no light shining in the room at night.

I have a couple of jogglers running sqpOS and this occurs intermittently but I can't figure out why. Any idea why the backlight isn't switching off?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I used to have this issue with SQPos. Somewhere there is a patch (Wilberforce posted perhaps?) which made it behave how I wanted it to.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
belrik

Post by belrik »

offbeatdave wrote:I used to have this issue with SQPos. Somewhere there is a patch (Wilberforce posted perhaps?) which made it behave how I wanted it to.
Hmm, yes I did see that and I also saw Roobarb's response. Not sure that hacking the screensaver to perform backlight setting is really the best approach when there is already a system function which is supposed to do the backlight setting. If it doesn't work it would just move the bug into a harder to fix location as well....

I've had similar issues with desktops, it looks like the code is using "xset dpms off" or similar to turn the screen off but that command can be interrupted if another process is running. Was really just looking to get a fix in the existing screen dimming code instead of re-implementing that function elsewhere.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Having power saving functionality in the screensaver was a Logitech design decision. The patch simply brought about the expected behaviour in the "Screen Off" screensaver - previously it behaved exactly the same as the "None" screensaver. It also unified the interface for backlight control, instead of scattering a whole bunch of xsets everywhere (a debugging nightmare), all calls are routed through a single function. This would make porting the changes to another device / operating system much easier ; just detect the device and delegate to an appropriate handler.

To seperate out the functionality, you'd need to: allow remote wake ups i.e when controlled from web interface (some people like to see what is being played), add the necessary hooks into the power-off, now-playing and stopped states - so you could have different behaviours for each, and implement an internal timer. Sounds like a lot of reimplemented functionality, not to mention a potential UI headache, for what I consider a corner case.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe there is a reason why you'd want to show a slideshow of images for 30 mins after you have selected your next track, and setting all states to "Screen off" isn't sufficent.

Correction: Not the same as 'None' , which disables it, but more like a "black screen".
Last edited by Wilberforce on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belrik

Post by belrik »

The last point may be sarcasm on your part but I am actually considering having these run slideshows for a couple of minutes before going dark... Thanks for replying and I will look at the patch and weigh up these options.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

I think was a bit overly defensive in my last post. Like you say, it would be good to seperate the two concerns, but it seems like it is replacing one implementation (the Logitech approach) with another, which doesn't provide all of the orginal features.

Also, as it was never adopted, It turned into series of 3 patches which need to be applied sequentially, and I didn't think there was enough interest to collate them.
Last edited by Wilberforce on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_dream_syndicate

Post by the_dream_syndicate »

Hi folks

I have Squeezeplay OS (latest version, 1.53) running on my Joggler, connected to my music via LMS running on a Pi. Sound is output to a USB DAC using the EDO patch. Sometimes for no apparent reason the sound will cut out and I have to relaunch Squeezeplay for it to start again. Sometimes it can play all day without a glitch, sometimes it happens after a few minutes. I would be grateful if someone could help me troubleshoot this problem because I am not sure where to start! Thanks in advance.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

the_dream_syndicate wrote:Hi folks

I have Squeezeplay OS (latest version, 1.53) running on my Joggler, connected to my music via LMS running on a Pi. Sound is output to a USB DAC using the EDO patch. Sometimes for no apparent reason the sound will cut out and I have to relaunch Squeezeplay for it to start again. Sometimes it can play all day without a glitch, sometimes it happens after a few minutes. I would be grateful if someone could help me troubleshoot this problem because I am not sure where to start! Thanks in advance.
Do you have an /etc/asound.conf in place? If so, can you try try removing it?

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.conf.bak

I didn't apply this patch, http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 460#p10514, but without looking into it too carefully it could help..
belrik

Post by belrik »

Wilberforce wrote:I think was a bit overly defensive in my last post. Like you say, it would be good to seperate the two concerns, but it seems like it is replacing one implementation (the Logitech approach) with another, which doesn't provide all of the orginal features.

Also, as it was never adopted, It turned into series of 3 patches which need to be applied sequentially, and I didn't think there was enough interest to collate them.
Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind your patches, understandable that you defend your work. I'm sure that there are benefits to them and I might patch one of my Jogglers to experiment. I'm glad that you pointed out there were 3 patches or I'd just have applied the first patch as per post #10681. Right now I've just switched from a system of MPD with PulseAudio network streaming to Squeezebox and it's "just working" (for the most part) so I'm being conservative with modifications.
the_dream_syndicate

Wilberforce wrote:
the_dream_syndicate wrote: Do you have an /etc/asound.conf in place? If so, can you try try removing it?

sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.conf.bak

I didn't apply this patch, http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 460#p10514, but without looking into it too carefully it could help..
Thanks. I had already removed the asound.conf as I couldn't get it to work at all before doing that. Isn't the above patch already built into the OS?
the_dream_syndicate

Still having problems with this. Assuming the patch Wilberforce references isn't in the OS, how do I go about installing it?
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

the_dream_syndicate wrote:Still having problems with this. Assuming the patch Wilberforce references isn't in the OS, how do I go about installing it?
Try this version of jive_alsa. Put it in:

/opt/squeezeplay/bin
Attachments
jive_alsa.tar.gz
(44.6 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
the_dream_syndicate

Thanks for your help Wilberforce, but I'm afraid I am still having problems. I have installed the patch above but still the sound cuts out. Switching to a file with a different sample rate brings the sound back.

I noticed in another thread you suggested running /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive_alsa for troubleshooting. On my install this brings up the error "error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" - how do I fix this? Thanks again.
Chippy_boy

Post by Chippy_boy »

Morning chaps.

Picked up my first Joggler this morning and very impressed I am with it too. :-)

My first task is to install Squeezeplay, but I am a bit stuck. The device boots up with O2 in the middle of the screen and all the packaging is O2 branded. But the firmware and software are 8964 and 30291, which I believe is latest Openpeak? So I am not sure exactly what mine is (got it off ebay).

Telnet is enabled by default however, and I can telnet in OK.

But when trying to download and install Squeezeplay, it seems like sudo is not installed on my Joggler.

-sh: sudo: not found
I can't see sudo in /usr/bin either

Any idea how to fix this? I would be most grateful!

EDIT: I note I am being dense, and I don't need to sudo the sqpinstall command (Doh!)

Thanks anyway!
pete

Post by pete »

Personally I would start from scratch rewriting the included O2 firmware with the forum/board updated O2 firmware.

That is me though and my opinion. I can't really say if this is the right or not but you will have something on there that is more documented.

From here you can install PnPIII with Squeeze box stuff or the Squeezebox OS if that is all you want. I have O2 Jogglers with both set ups.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Chippy_boy wrote:EDIT: I note I am being dense, and I don't need to sudo the sqpinstall command (Doh!)
Ah, you seem to have got it! On the native OS, there's no sudo command because everything you do happens as root anyway. Just download the sqpinstall.sh script and run it - you should be all set after that. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Chippy_boy

Post by Chippy_boy »

Thanks guys. It has all been incredibly easy. With no linux, Squeeze or any other skills, in 1 hour I have my Joggler running SqueezePlay and playing 24/96 flacs and Apple Lossless files from my Mac, through my Benchmark DAC (via USB), controlled with a remote app on my phone.

My only remaining challenge - and this might be a big one - is to ascertain what is being sent to the DAC, and to make sure it's bit perfect and at the native bit depth and sampling rate for whichever music file I am playing.

Any idea how I can check this (or alternatively what steps to take to make sure it is set up correctly?) The DAC won't tell me unfortunately. I have another DAC that will, but it doesn't have USB input.

Do I have to edit the asound.conf file? Anything else?

Thoughts?

FWIW, my asound.conf looks like this:

# cat asound.bak
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0"
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
                rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
        }
}

ctl.dmixer {
        type hw
        card 1
}
# 
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

I'm having a few issues with Spotify.. its seems to only want to play 30-40 seconds of any song in one of my playlists?
Anyone else having that issue? Im running LMS on my server and SqPOS installed on the Joggler... im a bit baffled :S
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jetpac wrote:I'm having a few issues with Spotify.. its seems to only want to play 30-40 seconds of any song in one of my playlists?
Anyone else having that issue? Im running LMS on my server and SqPOS installed on the Joggler... im a bit baffled :S
Which Spotify addon are you using? Is it the official one or the 3rd party Triode version?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Must be Triodes because the official one only works on real Logitech hardware.