SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by gegs »

SimonH wrote:What is the "best" way to listen to BBC across various types of Squeezebox? (preferably with programme details on screen). TIA!
The best way to listen to BBC streams on the Joggler is either on Squeezeplay OS (which supports the squeezebox.com BBC addon) or add the BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Extra addons in Logitech Media Server. Logitech Media Server is installed automatically with PnPIII or can be installed easily on Squeezeplay OS from the advanced settings.

Start up Squeezeplay on the Joggler; you don't have to play anything if you don't want to. This isn't strictly necessary but it helps when checking your server installation later.

If you haven't used LMS before, you should visit "http://IP address of your Joggler:9000" in your computer's web browser (obviously replacing the text with your Joggler's actual IP address). This will connect you to the server on your Joggler.

If it's the first time you've used LMS you will have to enter your squeezebox.com account user name and password. Next you will have to choose a music source directory and a playlist directory - choose anything sensible just to get started, you can change this later if you want.

The server interface should now be visible in your browser and your Squeezeplay addons should be listed. If not, check that the server is connected to your device; there is a drop-down in the top right that should list any running instances of Squeezeplay - choose the one you want.

Now choose the Settings icon in the bottom right of the browser (there's a small cog symbol next to it).

On the settings page choose the plugins tab. Now scroll to the bottom and click the box to allow 3rd party plugins and restart the server (wait a couple of minutes before doing anything else). Now scroll down and more plugins should be listed - choose the BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Extras plugins and restart the server. The addons might now appear at the top of the list but may not be ticked (activated); tick the boxes and restart the server and in a couple of minutes the BBC streams should be available in Squeezeplay.

If you have a Spotify Premium account you can also add the Triode Spotify plugin - the Squeezebox.com version doesn't work with the Joggler. In the Spotify plugin settings you can set your user name and password and also choose the stream quality.

I hope this makes sense. Just do it step-by-step and you should find it fairly simple.
sijones

Post by sijones »

SimonH wrote:I'll see if I can answer a few of these, but am far from an expert ;)
Far more expert than me! Many thanks for all this info - think I'll install SqueezeplayOS and see how we get on. The new Joggler's on its way, so the tinkering will commence this weekend...

cheers
- Simon
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

SimonH wrote:Has anyone been having trouble listening to BBC today?
Yes, there was something up this morning. I just played the radio from the iPlayer Radio app on iOS and zapped the audio to the Joggler via AirPlay. ;)

It does happen occasionally (rarely, thankfully) that the BBC radio streams play up.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sijones wrote:
SimonH wrote:I'll see if I can answer a few of these, but am far from an expert ;)
Far more expert than me! Many thanks for all this info - think I'll install SqueezeplayOS and see how we get on. The new Joggler's on its way, so the tinkering will commence this weekend...
Thanks for the roundup - spot on! SqueezePlay for Joggler is indeed the SqueezePlay program itself, modified (well, augmented, really) for use on the various operating systems for the Joggler. I don't really have time to test everything on every system, but I do try everything out on the native OS and SqueezePlay OS (obviously!).

SqueezePlay OS is a reasonably slim Ubuntu install that has SqueezePlay for Joggler installed on it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

gegs wrote:The best way to listen to BBC streams on the Joggler is either on Squeezeplay OS (which supports the squeezebox.com BBC addon) or add the BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Extra addons in Logitech Media Server. Logitech Media Server is installed automatically with PnPIII or can be installed easily on Squeezeplay OS from the advanced settings.
Thanks for the info gegs - actually I've already got LMS (currently on a Synology NAS) as well as a SB Radio and SB Touch (I've just updated my sig from the SB forums) but I get a bit confused about what will play what (basically the Touch seems to play the most things).

So my understanding is:
  • add-ons are like apps on the player device itself, in the case of SqueezePlay for Joggler the BBC one has been pre-installed, and can change what formats can be read on the player (is that true or are they just for providing lookups to streams compatible with your device),
  • plug-ins relate only to the LMS and one of the things they can do is to convert one format to another.
It's a bit of a puzzle why live or listen again to programmes on the BBC add-on on the Joggler doesn't work - it seems to buffer and then play but I don't get any sound.
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
gegs

Post by gegs »

SimonH wrote:So my understanding is:
  • add-ons are like apps on the player device itself, in the case of SqueezePlay for Joggler the BBC one has been pre-installed, and can change what formats can be read on the player (is that true or are they just for providing lookups to streams compatible with your device),
  • plug-ins relate only to the LMS and one of the things they can do is to convert one format to another.
The addons you refer to are, I think, the official Squeezebox.com additional apps. To use them the Joggler has to support the streaming codec and be logged on to squeezebox.com. To use the 3rd party plugins the Joggler must run from your LMS server, not squeezebox.com.

The plugins are for LMS wherever that resides, whether it is on your Joggler or another device. You're right that plugins can transcode from one format to another, although this might not be necessary if the player supports the default codec.

In the case of PnPIII there is no default support for WMA and the 3rd party BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Extras plugins will deliver AAC streams instead. Squeezeplay OS though will support WMA on the Joggler because it also has Mplayer installed.

The short answer is that if your device supports a default streaming codec it will play without issues. If, however, there is no native support for a codec on your device, LMS will have to transcode that stream through a suitable plugin (if one exists).

As ever, I hope this makes sense (and is correct ;))
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Thanks - I'm beginning to get the picture. This is going to be particularly important if mysqueezebox.com (MSB) gets neglected or disappears completely.

In summary for playing BBC it appears we have these options:
  • "BBC" app on MSB - this provides just the live radio and presumably requires MSB for transcoding (so is internet/Logitech performance sensitive)
  • "BBC radio" (1) plug-in by Triode on a local LMS which provides live radio plus last 7 days and only relies on local LMS
  • "BBCiPlayer" (2) plug-in by Triode on a local LMS -"-
  • "Internet Radio" or "Radio" app on MSB - a free lookup service to streams, provided by radiotime/tunein.com, inc BBC live radio, which you then connect to directly (possibly not dependent on MSB?)
  • "Podcasts" app on MSB where you can add BBC listen-again type MP3 podcasts (I'm sure I had that working once - it's not as full list as Listen Again though)
  • Other radio playlist providers (like the "Orange Liveradio" app on MSB) which get to your player to a BBC stream
... I think that's the full list but anyone feel free to correct me!

Triode's descriptions:
(1) Listen to BBC Radio live and listen again streams on your Squeezebox. Live radio and the last 7 days of BBC national, regional and local radio from the UK.
(2) Listen to BBC iPlayer Live and Listen Again Radio streams. Supports the highest quality streams available from the BBC for your location. Users outside the UK are now able to receive restricted bitrate versions of all of the content available to UK users. This includes listen again recordings of the last 7 days of BBC National, Regional and Local Radio from the UK.

My requirements for BBC are: listen live and listen again to programmes I've missed, preferably in highest quality (for my SB Touch if not Joggler anyway), preferably not reliant on MSB. So it sounds like the optimum solution is Triode's BBCiPlayer plug-in...

Sorry to hijack this discussion a bit but I guess other SP Joggler users may like BBC too and it's not entirely obvious (or at least not to me - this whole MSB/LMS split seems a bit of a mess and I can't help thinking they should have just stuck to a local LMS).

Simon
PS. I haven't got my head round all these stream types yet - AAC/WMA/MP3 etc - and don't know which include programme data or are "best" quality. Another day...
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
gegs

Post by gegs »

SimonH wrote:PS. I haven't got my head round all these stream types yet - AAC/WMA/MP3 etc - and don't know which include programme data or are "best" quality. Another day...
AAC and MP3 streams will play on the Joggler but not WMA without an installation of Mplayer. SqueezePlay OS plays WMA because it has Mplayer; PnPIII Squeezeplay does not.

BBC Radio 3's HD service uses AAC streams so they must be pretty good quality. I think they're streamed at quite a high bitrate though. Comparisons of stream quality should be like-for-like bitrate-wise. The quality of some internet radio stations are pitiful and are the aural equivalent of pouring sand on your porridge rather than smooth, golden, sweet honey. I'm sure that low bitrate AAC would be worse than high bitrate MP3 and that stream format is less important than stream quality (if your device supports the format, of course). You should be able to see what format is being streamed by tapping the top bar on the Squeezeplay screen and then choosing the "more info" link when a stream is playing.

People have been having problems with BBC stations since the beginning of the year, even with the Triode plugin. As soon as the BBC changes something it can break things; we then usually have to wait for a plugin update that fixes the issues or for the BBC to update their XML feeds etc. I've not played BBC streams for a couple of weeks, I've been using Spotify a lot, so I'm not sure if things are now working, although the Squeezebox forum linked to below says that it's now OK.

A link to the Triode iPlayer thread detailing recent issues:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... y)/page174
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I actually think Mplayer is used by LMS to trans code WMA rather than squeezplay being able to play them. So its actually dependant on the player, my PNP jogglers can play the same streams as my SqPOS joggler as long as they connect to the right LMS
gegs

Post by gegs »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:I actually think Mplayer is used by LMS to trans code WMA rather than squeezplay being able to play them. So its actually dependant on the player, my PNP jogglers can play the same streams as my SqPOS joggler as long as they connect to the right LMS
That's kind of what I said in my previous post; sqpOS can play WMA because it has Mplayer, PnP can't. My assumption was that you also had LMS running on the same machine.

As you mention though, if your LMS is on a device with Mplayer (such as sqpOS) and you also use this instance of LMS for your PnPIII Joggler then, of course, PnP Squeezeplay will also be able to play WMA streams - transcoded to a playable format. This is my setup; I connect to LMS on my sqpOS Joggler in the lounge so that I can play more radio streams on my PnPIII Joggler in the kitchen.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Can anyone help please?

Is anyone using the image viewer to view images on a network drive?

I have mounted a windows share and I can see the files correctly in the mount point.

In image viewer, I select Local Storage Media as the source and for Source Specific Settings I enter the location of the mount. However, squeezeplay moans with "The defined search path is not a directory. Please provide a valid directory path name".

I have also tried creating a symbolic link in the /home/joggler directory pointing to the mount, then updating the image viewer settings to this directory but this also fails with the same error.

(If I plop a few photos in /home/joggler and point image viewer to there, it works ok)

I have also tried setting the "source" to be "URL" and entering the URL of the share directly, but this also fails to find any photos.

This used to work as I used to use the Image Viewer as the screensaver.

If anyone that has this working could let me know whether they have source set to media or URL, and what they have for source settings, I would be most grateful.

Thanks.
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.53 is ready. Hit that update button! ;)

Amazingly, SqueezePlay for Joggler has now been installed on 1009 unique Jogglers!
I hit the update button last night.
Now I have some unwanted different behaviour.
I cannot exit the squeezeplay application i.e. I cannot return to the Joggler menu. Previously, pressing the power button on the squeezeplay menu would bring me out.
The only way I can find now is to power cycle the joggler.
Thanks for all your hard work on this. Much appreciated.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

charlesr wrote:
roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.53 is ready. Hit that update button! ;)

Amazingly, SqueezePlay for Joggler has now been installed on 1009 unique Jogglers!
I hit the update button last night.
I cannot exit the squeezeplay application i.e. I cannot return to the Joggler menu. Previously, pressing the power button on the squeezeplay menu would bring me out.
Thanks for all your hard work on this. Much appreciated.
How did you install? Via PnPIII? If so, it must have been something tweaked by the PnP installer - there should be a quit menu option at the bottom of the main screen that would take you out to the native UI again.
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

I must have hidden the quit button from the menu previously.... (clicking the power button top left used to quit for me so couldn't see the need for the one in the menu). All ok now I've put that back! Thanks
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

charlesr wrote: I hit the update button last night.
PnP III sets the Power button in the top left to quit, hence the hidden quit menu option. Updating restores the default functionality. There is a script in SWF Manager->Shell which sets the Power button in SQP to quit again following restore (and one to change the icon to the PnP III version too).
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
sijones

Post by sijones »

Hi All,
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. Consider it part of my quest to ask a stupid question in every thread of this forum... This follows on from my posts on the SqueezeplayOS thread a couple of weeks ago.

I've now got my second Joggler set up in the front room, playing Squeezeplay to my ageing separates stereo via a Behringer 202 USB sound card. (Couldn't install SqueezeplayOS, but am using the Squeezeplay app built into PnPIII to do the honours). It's a great little setup.

The only thing I'd like to improve is the volume of the music coming from the Joggler. It's quieter than anything else coming through the stereo (CD player, tuner, TV, etc). It's not a massive problem, as I can just turn up the volume knob on the amp, but I know what will happen eventually: someone will switch from the Joggler to another input (say, the CD player), and the sudden increase in noise will take the roof off the house.

I've found the master volume control in PnPIII and have cranked it up. The volume control in Squeezeplay is cranked up to the maximum. But the Joggler music is still much quieter than the other stuff passing through the amp.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking to boost the Joggler's output volume? Have searched the forum without finding anything that quite applies to me.

cheers, Simon
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

If you look for the Boost native joggler volume thread on about page 3 there is a zip file and instructions for what you want
:-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
sijones

Post by sijones »

Ta hawsey! Clearly my forum-searching skills weren't up to much...

So it looks like it's possible to browse the Joggler's inner workings somehow, and add files like in Windows Explorer on a PC? I've never done that, but will search around to find out how, it's bound to be on here somewhere...

Assuming I can work out how to do it, don't suppose you know if I can apply that change in the post to PnPIII without breaking something? If I muck it up I suppose I can just reflash PnPIII.

Streaming music round the house is absolutely superb, I'm playing stuff I'd forgotten I owned (though some of it is best forgotten).

[EDIT: Just found an excellent post by gegs, describing how to browse the Joggler file system with WinSCP - very interesting & useful. Will have a go at that sound mod, but might back everything up before I go charging in...]
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I might be wrong but I'm not convinced those mods will make a difference with a USB connected DAC though.