SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mikeywilliams

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by mikeywilliams »

roobarb! wrote:
mikeywilliams wrote:I am running SqueezePlay on native OS.
Airplay has been installed and turned on.
However on my ipad2 with the latest ios7 I am not seeing airplay as an option in the control panel.
Does the airplay server need updating for ios7?
The portion of sqpOS that emulates an AirPort Express does indeed need updating, but it is still working correctly. I use it most days on my system at home and it appears more reliably than my Apple TV. :)
Thanks for the info.
But are you using it on ios7?
On my ipad2 no luck with airplay despite reinstalling airplay, stopping and restarting it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Yup, I've been playing podcasts to a Joggler from an iPhone running iOS 7 for most of the day today.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

roobarb! wrote:Yup, I've been playing podcasts to a Joggler from an iPhone running iOS 7 for most of the day today.
Hmmm Thanks again for the info.
I'm going to have to do some digging. Hey Ho.
jahonix

Post by jahonix »

Does the Joggler take over from what else is playing currently or do we have to switch to AirPlay RX manually?

I have 5 Jogglers now running SqueezePlay OS and none of them shows up on any of my iDevices.
All are flashed with roobarb!'s great sqp image on internal storage. What else could we do wrong?
Chris
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

jahonix wrote:Does the Joggler take over from what else is playing currently or do we have to switch to AirPlay RX manually?

I have 5 Jogglers now running SqueezePlay OS and none of them shows up on any of my iDevices.
All are flashed with roobarb!'s great sqp image on internal storage. What else could we do wrong?
The only manual step is installing the airplay server in the first place, it's not installed by default. (on squeezeplay, settings > advanced > additional features > Airplay)

Once it's installed as long as you've not made any changes to the audio configuration then it will just play back over the top of squeezeplay with no action required. If you're already playing something with SP you will need to pause playback or you'll get both playing at once.

If you've made any manual changes to the audio configuration then this can break the Airplay as it requires alsamixer I believe. When I say break, the Airplay device would still work but you'd get no sound.
roobarb!

Re:

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:If you've made any manual changes to the audio configuration then this can break the Airplay as it requires alsamixer I believe. When I say break, the Airplay device would still work but you'd get no sound.
So long as ALSA is still the main output method, then it'll work with any USB DAC. That's how I run it on one of mine.

If you've started doing strange and scary things like installing PulseAudio, you're on your own! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

roobarb! wrote:
JimbobVFR400 wrote:If you've made any manual changes to the audio configuration then this can break the Airplay as it requires alsamixer I believe. When I say break, the Airplay device would still work but you'd get no sound.
So long as ALSA is still the main output method, then it'll work with any USB DAC. That's how I run it on one of mine.

If you've started doing strange and scary things like installing PulseAudio, you're on your own! ;)
Mine was when I was getting my soldered on optical port to work, my first attempt worked but addressed the audio directly so mixing in Airport audio stopped working. Can't remember the details now. I've since got it working though so now irrelevant.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:
roobarb! wrote:

Mine was when I was getting my soldered on optical port to work, my first attempt worked but addressed the audio directly so mixing in Airport audio stopped working. Can't remember the details now. I've since got it working though so now irrelevant.
I should go back and take another look at the optical-out stuff sometime. Did it ever get written up into a wiki page?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

roobarb! wrote: I should go back and take another look at the optical-out stuff sometime. Did it ever get written up into a wiki page?
I seem to recall it did, it was very very easy to do once I'd got my head round it.

Edit to add

This is the Wiki, I actually used an optical socket but in a similar location to the RCA on the Wiki
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output

And this is the forum thread I used, there's also the specifics I mentioned about changing the audio configuration breaking Airplay, crikey it was a year and a half ago, no wonder the details were a bit hazy.
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=603

I should add once I'd edited asound.conf after installing the socket it didn't work initially, cue much head scratching and reopening the Joggler to no avail. The simple answer was to use alsamixer at the command line to unmute the digital out. Doh it's always the simple stuff.
tommu

Post by tommu »

Hope someone can help.
I have Squeezeplay OS installed on my Joggler on internal flash. Using a Mac Pro as the media server. I have a USB DAC which works very well with all sources. My problem is that Airplay plays via the internal speakers. Is there some simple command or configuration I'm missing?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

tommu wrote:Hope someone can help.
I have Squeezeplay OS installed on my Joggler on internal flash. Using a Mac Pro as the media server. I have a USB DAC which works very well with all sources. My problem is that Airplay plays via the internal speakers. Is there some simple command or configuration I'm missing?
How did you enable the USB DAC?
tommu

Post by tommu »

JimbobVFR400 wrote: How did you enable the USB DAC?
Well this sucks.. I tried so many things and didn't make notes. How can I tell? I do know that I am not using asound.conf. I've tied myself in knots with this.
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi Roobarb!

I think i have an issue with the sound configuration with Squeezeplay for Joggler - if i can give some background :-

Im using Buzz's base EXT image, with lubuntu minimal desktop installed. I have installed my Home Automation app (no sound required), Mythtv, and SQP from your script. This all fires up in fullscreen, and i use a XBMC remote to navigate. It works pretty well - however :

I thought i had the image working perfectly, however, now during extended testing - it seems i can only have one application accessing the sound card at one time?

If i do not start SQP at boot - i can configure mythtv to access audio over Dmix0, and I can get audio. However if I then fire up SQP i cannot get it to play anything.

Conversley, if I do not start mythtv at boot, SQP works fine (without any configuration that i can see), however, mythtv complains that the soundcard is locked and in use...

I know next to nothing about how soundcards work in linux - I was wondering if you would have any idea how I could go about sorting this issue?

My aim to to have an image that i can deploy to my gambling jogglers in the wall, so i can have homeautomation, tv and music in every room.

Thanks for any help you can spare.

Cheers

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Mike,

Unrelated / related to your post question.

I just installed the HSTouch client on the lite Linux version that I am playing with. I also did a quickie import of one of the XP touchscreens and the text and graphics are fine.

How do you not get sound going to the HSTouch running on your linux client?

Here I get a DV error everytime HS sends out TTS the the linux client.

Just did a quickie test.

I do not see the error if I am sending pure TTS and see the error when I am sending a WAVE file by itself or a wave file and TTS.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi Pete

I dont actually use sound/speech in my Homeseer system, I have never felt the need to use sound, though going forwards I might.

The VM it is installed on does not have a sound card presented to it.

Will get some time later in the month to try installing sound/speech and I will let you know how i get on!

Does anyone have any idea about Joggler soundcards - multiple sources and SQP ?? :)

Cheers all

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mike.

I use one Joggler with an external USB sound card. Over the last year its run XP, Linux SP and Linux XBMC. Relating to SP Linux I just plugged it in and defaulted the sound to output to the external USB card. It stayed working like this the whole time with no issues. Currently its running XP with HSTouch and a custom radio page. Each button on the touchscreen is using VLC to play back the sound. Each station though is a VLC command line.

I do not though run multiple applications talking to the two/one soundcard (USB and internal) at the same time or change what is using what at boot time. I have done this and do do this today though using a Wintel program called Virtual Audio Cable. Been using it for years now.

Googling virtual audio cable for Linux; I did find a program which is similiar called Jack.
Its a virtual audio mixer of sort that creates another set of sound outputs and mixes the channels such that I can utilize the output of two or three applications to one sound card.

This might work for what you are trying to do. I do both virtual and real TTS from Homeseer. The real TTS going to one input of the zoned audio system / PA input or auto mixing input on another amplifier that senses audio on a source then switches to that source hardware wise. Virtually its just using virtual audio cable.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi Pete

Found some spare time over the weekend and tried the virtual cable - works like a treat! Thanks very much!

Have configured easystroke also, so now have a very compact Homeseer/Sqp/Mythtv unit ready to deploy anywhere in the house (thanks to POE!)

Cheers!!!

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Mike,

Are you running a MythTV client then on the Joggler? Here I installed the MythTV client on my test box and it works well streaming live SD/HD (720).

Experimenting some with adding another capture card to the MythTV server. Its an old legacy NTSC tuner with two addition analog ports on it.

I replaced the legacy NTSC tuner with a combo NTSC / ATSC tuner.

Worked fine when I manually added my in house video channels and set them to NTSC.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just uploaded the latest revision. Tweaks for all in this one!

v1.55 (12th February 2014)

- All Platforms

Compiled as SqueezePlay v7.7.2 r9710 using PortAudio r1917.
Binary for jive_alsa now compiled with up to 192kHz option added (for tinkerers).
Modified build environment with support for GitHub and improved build reliability.
Updated build scripts to provide manual control of revision numbering.
- Our revisions begin at r9710.
Added WordClock applet as a screensaver option. Thanks to arcaic for this!
German translation for JogglerNetwork applet courtesy of Heiko Steinwender.
Update screen information text is now specific to each platform.

- Native OS

System will now reboot after an update, as tango does not always relaunch cleanly.
- NB. There's always a blank screen delay before rebooting. This is expected.

- SqueezePlay OS

Audio master output now defaults to 100% with reduced initial sound effect volume.
Option to install Logitech Media Server now uses latest stable version (v7.7.3).
Support for ShairPort is now included by default (requires SqueezePlay OS v2.06).
Simplified configuration of ShairPort in JogglerFeatures applet.
Added time zone configutaion applet. Thanks to Heiko Steinwender!
- Adjust time zone in Settings > Advanced > Time Zone
castalla

Post by castalla »

Sorry, but I'm confused by this release. I have the SqpOS (the earlier version) running from a usb stick.

How do I update to this version of Squeezeplay?