SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by castalla »

roobarb! wrote:
proddick wrote:I am currently running a Joggler with the Squeezplay OS (internal flash) and very pleased with it.

I would like to use another Joggler with Squeezeplay but need it to connect to some Bluetooth speakers. Is this possible using one of the Links distros?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the forum - I have checked with no success.
It's certainly possible if you install to internal memory and then use a Bluetooth dongle in the USB port. I've never done it though, but sqpOS has Bluetooth support. It will need some manual command-line configuration.
If anyone actually gets bluetooth transmit to work, I'd appreciate a writeup! I've had real problems getting linux command line pairing working with bluetooth speakers - I've had it working on debian and fedora - but it was a real hit'n'miss procedure. A big problem is finding a bt dongle which actually works - many don't!
proddick

Post by proddick »

castalla wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
proddick wrote:I am currently running a Joggler with the Squeezplay OS (internal flash) and very pleased with it.

I would like to use another Joggler with Squeezeplay but need it to connect to some Bluetooth speakers. Is this possible using one of the Links distros?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the forum - I have checked with no success.
It's certainly possible if you install to internal memory and then use a Bluetooth dongle in the USB port. I've never done it though, but sqpOS has Bluetooth support. It will need some manual command-line configuration.
If anyone actually gets bluetooth transmit to work, I'd appreciate a writeup! I've had real problems getting linux command line pairing working with bluetooth speakers - I've had it working on debian and fedora - but it was a real hit'n'miss procedure. A big problem is finding a bt dongle which actually works - many don't!
In the end I decided to use a small amp and USB wireless audio rather than Bluetooth, partly as it was easy to get it working and partly due to better sound quality. Due to the room layout hard wiring isn't convenient.

I managed to get a new (old stock) "Onkyo UWL-1 Wireless USB Audio Transport" which works very well. I did try a HP Wireless Audio (cheap on ebay), but it only works on Windows. I have also ordered a "Sitecom Wireless Music Streamer" which will arrive soon and I will advise how that works.
bartekluk

Post by bartekluk »

I have a problem with my SqueezePlay on my SqueezePlay OS running on joggler flash.
I have some apps installed by the do not show in my apps menu or anywhere else on my menus. After install I can go directly to the app but after I leave it I cannot get back to it.
How can I solve this problem?
MLBath

Post by MLBath »

Squeezeplay was perhaps the easiest OS I've installed on the Joggler. Great instructions and the "off the peg" settings were practically perfect.

The irony is I hardly ever use my Joggler as a player. It is the house's main server as it's the only computer always on.

I have two questions that I could do with answers for.

The Joggler has a three port USB dock attached that contains:
1 - A USB stick containing the Squeezeplay gubbins.
2 - A HP LaserJet printer.
3 - An external hard drive containing all the mp3, flac and jpg files.

Here are the issues:

1: My Joggler was always the print server for the house. Now nobody can see the attached printer. It was a pig to set up (the last installation was Linux Mint) with a lot of buggering about with Linux file/printer sharing services.
If anybody has some pointers to help me get the printer visible across the network (most clients are Windows 7) I would be very happy.

2: Not nearly so important, but if the power cycles, the Joggler will either hang or boot to the O2 system. I have to power off, unplug the USB plug for the hard drive, power on, then plug the external drive in after boot. It would be nice to either have the Joggler boot off the hard drive (although I think it's FAT at the moment) or have it boot without having to unplug the drive.

Issue 1 is getting me hassle from wife and kids. Issue 2 is a minor annoyance. I'll be very happy for any help with either.

Thanks,

Mark.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

bartekluk wrote:I have a problem with my SqueezePlay on my SqueezePlay OS running on joggler flash.
I have some apps installed by the do not show in my apps menu or anywhere else on my menus. After install I can go directly to the app but after I leave it I cannot get back to it.
How can I solve this problem?
Which apps and which version of Squeezebox Server are you running?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

MLBath wrote:1: My Joggler was always the print server for the house. Now nobody can see the attached printer. It was a pig to set up (the last installation was Linux Mint) with a lot of buggering about with Linux file/printer sharing services.
If anybody has some pointers to help me get the printer visible across the network (most clients are Windows 7) I would be very happy.
I'm not going to be a great deal of help on this one, as I've always avoided having to do any print server setup stuff on Linux! You may have a lot more luck posting in the Ubuntu Server forums, as that's pretty much what you're running (sort of). ;)
MLBath wrote:2: Not nearly so important, but if the power cycles, the Joggler will either hang or boot to the O2 system. I have to power off, unplug the USB plug for the hard drive, power on, then plug the external drive in after boot. It would be nice to either have the Joggler boot off the hard drive (although I think it's FAT at the moment) or have it boot without having to unplug the drive.
The Joggler is seeing the external drive first and trying to boot from it, which is the cause of your reboot problem. You could write the sqpOS image to the hard drive (copy off all your data first!) which would give you a bootable sqpOS hard drive with a whole bunch of unused space at the end. Then create a new partition on the drive (using Ubuntu or a GParted Live CD) in FAT format that you can then copy all of your data back onto. Then you can lose the USB stick and just have the HDD and the printer attached.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

How to install on a hard disk instructions can be found here

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1388
MLBath

Post by MLBath »

roobarb! wrote:
MLBath wrote:1: My Joggler was always the print server for the house. Now nobody can see the attached printer. It was a pig to set up (the last installation was Linux Mint) with a lot of buggering about with Linux file/printer sharing services.
I'm not going to be a great deal of help on this one, as I've always avoided having to do any print server setup stuff on Linux! You may have a lot more luck posting in the Ubuntu Server forums, as that's pretty much what you're running (sort of). ;)
Thanks, I'll give it a go. However (and here's where I flash my noobies...) I can't work out how to get off of Squeezeplay and back to the terminal app (or similar). If I quit SqueezePlay it also shuts the Joggler off. I'm pretty adept at terminal shenanigans - so I can do some CUPS and hopefully get VNC on there. At the moment I'm locked to the SqueezePlay front end.
roobarb! wrote:
MLBath wrote:2: Not nearly so important, but if the power cycles, the Joggler will either hang or boot to the O2 system. I have to power off, unplug the USB plug for the hard drive, power on, then plug the external drive in after boot. It would be nice to either have the Joggler boot off the hard drive (although I think it's FAT at the moment) or have it boot without having to unplug the drive.
The Joggler is seeing the external drive first and trying to boot from it, which is the cause of your reboot problem. You could write the sqpOS image to the hard drive (copy off all your data first!) which would give you a bootable sqpOS hard drive with a whole bunch of unused space at the end. Then create a new partition on the drive (using Ubuntu or a GParted Live CD) in FAT format that you can then copy all of your data back onto. Then you can lose the USB stick and just have the HDD and the printer attached.

Looks OK. With the above and the link from Man In A Van, I'm pretty confident. Thanks.

Mark.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

MLBath wrote:I can't work out how to get off of Squeezeplay and back to the terminal app (or similar). If I quit SqueezePlay it also shuts the Joggler off. I'm pretty adept at terminal shenanigans - so I can do some CUPS and hopefully get VNC on there. At the moment I'm locked to the SqueezePlay front end.
Ah, yes - well, the answer there is that you can't! :)

When SqueezePlay is exited, it relaunches automatically. The best way to control it is to use the option under Advanced to install the SSH server, then connect to the Joggler with puTTY or Terminal.app on your laptop. Then you can do pretty much anything you want to.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Is there any way to connect to SqueezePlay through VNC to current desktop session ... I installed vnc4server and x11vnc through SSH I can connect to joggler but to different desktop...
Maybe someone has any idea ho to connect to current desktop...what should be the settings ...
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

-=xXx=- wrote:Is there any way to connect to SqueezePlay through VNC to current desktop session ... I installed vnc4server and x11vnc through SSH I can connect to joggler but to different desktop...
Maybe someone has any idea ho to connect to current desktop...what should be the settings ...
For what purpose? If its just for controlling squeeze play on your PC screen you might be better off just installing squeezeplay on the PC then using the select player menu item to select the joggler SP to control it.
castalla

Post by castalla »

I've noticed a puzzling difference between the Pi and the Joggler when updating LMS using the dpkg method.

The Pi update takes about 5-10 min, but the Joggler takes 30 min. or so.

Very strange.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:
-=xXx=- wrote:Is there any way to connect to SqueezePlay through VNC to current desktop session ... I installed vnc4server and x11vnc through SSH I can connect to joggler but to different desktop...
For what purpose? If its just for controlling squeeze play on your PC screen you might be better off just installing squeezeplay on the PC then using the select player menu item to select the joggler SP to control it.
I want to be able to launch different software and to see their status on the screen.
dammydam

Post by dammydam »

Hi all, Currently i have installed squeezebox on my joggler internally and set up LMS on it. i have opened up the joggler and removed the wifi module and intend on using the usb for internal storage for my music library. when connected to the internet the library is found and plays perfectly. When not connected it doesn't find the server. Just a quick question that might save me a lot of time reading the full thread. Is it possible to point the server locally at 127.0.0.1 and not be needed to have an internet connection to the joggler? ...Thanks for reading and sorry for been lazy , but it is a long thread :)
tomlethaby

Post by tomlethaby »

I am running SqueezePlay on native OS. The "native" music player will play the music off my USB memory stick but SqueezePlay will not recognize it? What am I doing wrong? Does the stick need a very specific formatting?
castalla

Post by castalla »

tomlethaby wrote:I am running SqueezePlay on native OS. The "native" music player will play the music off my USB memory stick but SqueezePlay will not recognize it? What am I doing wrong? Does the stick need a very specific formatting?
Have you installed the LMS server? You need that running to use Squeezeplay.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

I am running SqueezePlay on native OS.
Airplay has been installed and turned on.
However on my ipad2 with the latest ios7 I am not seeing airplay as an option in the control panel.
Does the airplay server need updating for ios7?
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've posted an answer in another thread:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 228#p19228
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mikeywilliams wrote:I am running SqueezePlay on native OS.
Airplay has been installed and turned on.
However on my ipad2 with the latest ios7 I am not seeing airplay as an option in the control panel.
Does the airplay server need updating for ios7?
The portion of sqpOS that emulates an AirPort Express does indeed need updating, but it is still working correctly. I use it most days on my system at home and it appears more reliably than my Apple TV. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just a little update for folks; there was a fault in a script on the update server which meant that any requests for updates (or new installations) were taking an inordinate amount of time to return. Of course, there haven't been any updates in a while, but it should have been getting back to you quicker to let you know!

The bug has been squashed and it should return the latest version information much more quickly now.