New Android Build?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
asantaga

Market WORKS!

Post by asantaga »

All,

After some investigation I followed the instructions on this posting http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845175 and the market works COMPLETELY!

Namely
- Get a copy of Titanium Backup and sideload it (free version is fine). http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

- Make sure the Market is working with your Google ID, of course.

- Go into Settings -- Applications -- Manage Applications and Force Stop both the Market and Google Services Frameworks apps.

- In Titanium Backup, go into "Backup/Restore", look for "Google Services Framework 2.2", click on it and then choose "Wipe Data". Then go back to the home screen.

- Run the Market app. You should get an error (that's a good thing, as that's what we want. If you don't get an error, re-try the steps above until you do).

- Reboot, and wait at least a minute after the OS is up to let things stabilize.

- Run the Market again. You should see an immediate difference.

:-)
Angelo
jtonline

Re: New Android Build?

Post by jtonline »

@dwl99 have a look for an app that looks like a power button. Unfortunately it's not translated but the top option appears to reboot and the second one down powers off. (I've not developed any Android apps yet but does anyone know whether it's possible to add new language files to existing apps, or would that need to be done when it's created? Just a thought.)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm having nothing but bother from this!!! Wifi never reconnects automatically, I need to manually turn wireless off then on again. Titanium backup hangs asking for root access & I cannot see any sign of a Superuser app. I managed to stop Market and Google Services Frameworks apps and wipe their data via Settings -> Applications and obtained the Market error as described. After a reboot Market is now FCing and reporting server errors. Dropbox refuses to connect to the server. Loads of security certificate errors while browsing, probably due to date & time errors.

Has anyone actually got this to run well?
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:Well, the new one seems to be working after a few hiccups. Wifi often does not reconnect on startup but I'm trying Wefi to fix that. Applanet works better than the official Market. Anyone know how to turn it off without pulling the plug?
Go to the applications menu and the power button should be the last icon at the bottom right. Even after changing the default language and keyboard I'm still getting some menu items in Chinese. The power options screen is one of those.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

guys,

Just as FYI, I've installed the following apps and they are kooooool

1. LauncherPro http://www.launcherpro.com/ makes the home screen much more functional. Also it allows you to hide apps like "phone" from the app drawer.... these dont work on the joggler so good to hide them :-)
2. Sense Analog Clock Dark -- https://market.android.com/details?id=f ... eClockDark ---- I wanted a weather widget..
3. VolumeWidget - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result - Allows me to control the volume from the home screen..
4. WinAmp (Shoutcast network) although I wish I could have squeezebox on this..
Angelo
gegs

Post by gegs »

Like dwl99, I can't get Dropbox to connect to the server. It's not a wi-fi problem because I can surf the web.

For those interested in Squeezeplay on Android, here is a link (untested by me).
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post628180
Last edited by gegs on Tue May 17, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Squeezeplay on Android would awesome! The last time I checked there were too many problems with libraries for it to work. Might give this a go on my phone. In the meantime I've done a clean install of Android on the Joggler for 1 final attempt at getting it to work.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Mmmm im using cable so maybe wifi is still buggered......
i wonder if we can contact the developer....
Angelo
gegs

Post by gegs »

asantaga wrote:Mmmm im using cable so maybe wifi is still buggered......
i wonder if we can contact the developer....
Wi-fi works for me when surfing the web. I don't know enough about Android development to know if the fault lies with the Dropbox app.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I don't think I'm going to waste any more time on this. I don't know enough about Android to make things work (I don't have an Android phone). It's a shame because I like the interface and finger-friendliness.

What I'm puzzled about is the insistence of tying Android market downloads (Google or Amazon) to a phone number. How do Android tablets work then? Do they all have phone functionality? I doubt it. Could I just enter my Joggler number or does it need to be tied to an authorised Android device? Too many questions and not enough motivation.
SusieM

Post by SusieM »

Once I figured out how to change the language to English this is running sweetly on wi-fi (apart from drop outs caused by range). Dropbox installed and connected faultlessly so am happy, so don't give up too easily on this.
I did find that if I went to the Gallery or wallpaper options the Joggler hangs up as there is no way out of the ap that I can find apart from pulling the plug.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Unfortunately Dropbox wouldn't connect for me. I couldn't install any new apps and the out-of-the-box functionality wasn't enough to keep my attention. I'm having too much fun with Ubuntu to waste unproductive time with Android. I like the look of it but it is too geared towards phone use, so I reckon I'll get an Android phone to pique my interest and leave my Joggler for other things.

Now if others more talented than I could create an image with a working app store, I might be persuaded to change my mind. I just can't figure out how to do it myself and none of the instructions in this forum have worked for me.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

+1 - Android on the Joggler has just been a time sink for me.
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

Does anyone know if flash 10 is working on this build? I watch loads of steamed TV on the joggler. I'm poping out and don't have a chance to try it. The basic overall works fine. I've just got to do the titanium bit.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

i couldnt get flash to work... :-( perhaps it uses the ndk?

@dwl and @gegs I have an image with market and everything working.. I'll try and create a clean image for the community,....
Angelo
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

That would be great!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

gegs wrote:Unfortunately Dropbox wouldn't connect for me. I couldn't install any new apps and the out-of-the-box functionality wasn't enough to keep my attention. I'm having too much fun with Ubuntu to waste unproductive time with Android. I like the look of it but it is too geared towards phone use, so I reckon I'll get an Android phone to pique my interest and leave my Joggler for other things.
If you're looking for an Android phone to cut your teeth on you could do a lot worse than the Orange San Francisco, currently 80 quid + 20 quid compulsory topup instore for the next few days only. There's a thriving forum over at Modaco & it's very easy to unlock it & flash a custom 2.2 or 2.3 ROM. You can also use it as a remote for your Squeezeplay with an app called Squeeze Commander!
stephen m

Re: Market WORKS!

Post by stephen m »

asantaga wrote:All,

After some investigation I followed the instructions on this posting http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845175 and the market works COMPLETELY!

Namely
- Get a copy of Titanium Backup and sideload it (free version is fine). http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

- Make sure the Market is working with your Google ID, of course.

- Go into Settings -- Applications -- Manage Applications and Force Stop both the Market and Google Services Frameworks apps.

- In Titanium Backup, go into "Backup/Restore", look for "Google Services Framework 2.2", click on it and then choose "Wipe Data". Then go back to the home screen.

- Run the Market app. You should get an error (that's a good thing, as that's what we want. If you don't get an error, re-try the steps above until you do).

- Reboot, and wait at least a minute after the OS is up to let things stabilize.

- Run the Market again. You should see an immediate difference.

:-)
Tried this method but still getting FCs. Any other thoughts on this :)
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

mmmmm did you follow it to the letter? ;-)
ok, seriously you must only wipe the data of the google services framework
then reboot (using the chinese widget first option)
then WAIT... 1min.. then try market..

I found I had to do the operation a couple of times before it worked properly..

another thing Ive done is use somethnig called marketEnabler (on market) to fake ireland.(although Im in london) I wonder if this is the missing link?
Angelo
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

asantaga wrote:mmmmm did you follow it to the letter? ;-)
ok, seriously you must only wipe the data of the google services framework
then reboot (using the chinese widget first option)
then WAIT... 1min.. then try market..

I found I had to do the operation a couple of times before it worked properly..

another thing Ive done is use somethnig called marketEnabler (on market) to fake ireland.(although Im in london) I wonder if this is the missing link?
Tried this again but still getting FCs. When I click the Market app it gives me the option to accept or decline. When I click accept the loading sign appears, and then it FCs. BTW. I have MarketEnabler installed. What settings should I set this to for this to help.